Solving the Puzzle: Acceleration of a 50kg Block

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving a 50kg block sliding on a horizontal surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.60. A force of 400N is applied at an angle of 20° above horizontal. The question asks for the magnitude of the block's acceleration, and the person in the conversation is struggling to find the correct answer and is considering the influence of the force and its vertical component on the normal reaction. The final equation for finding the acceleration is given.
phizuks
I'm not sure why I'm not getting this problem right. It seems pretty simple to me, but I guess there might be a trick to it?

Suppose that a 50kg block slides along a horizontal surface where the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface is uk = 0.60. A force F = 400 N is now applied as shown in the drawing, where the angle of the force above horizontal is 20°.

What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the block?

Isn't the equation just 400N*Cos(20)-(9.81 m/s^2)(50kg)(.60) = (50kg)(a)

I get a = 1.63 m/s^2
The choices the online homework gives are
.54, 2.31, 3.27 (2x the accel i get), 6.78, and 8.11

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to take into account the increased N, as it now has to deal with both gravity and the y-component of the F. This, of course, increases the force caused by friction.

phizuks said:
I'm not sure why I'm not getting this problem right. It seems pretty simple to me, but I guess there might be a trick to it?

Suppose that a 50kg block slides along a horizontal surface where the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface is uk = 0.60. A force F = 400 N is now applied as shown in the drawing, where the angle of the force above horizontal is 20°.

What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the block?

Isn't the equation just 400N*Cos(20)-(9.81 m/s^2)(50kg)(.60) = (50kg)(a)

I get a = 1.63 m/s^2
The choices the online homework gives are
.54, 2.31, 3.27 (2x the accel i get), 6.78, and 8.11

the normal reaction here will be less than 50*9.8...bcoz the force F has a component in the vertical dir.
N=50*9.8 - 400*sin(20)

so ur eqn shud actually b
400N*Cos(20)-[(9.81 m/s^2)(50kg)-(400)(sin(20))](.60) = (50kg)(a)

i think u shud get the ans frm this.

bye

Related to Solving the Puzzle: Acceleration of a 50kg Block

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. How do you determine the acceleration of a 50kg block?

To determine the acceleration of a 50kg block, you will need to measure the change in its velocity over a certain period of time. Then, use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t and plug in the known values to calculate the acceleration.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of a 50kg block?

The acceleration of a 50kg block can be affected by several factors, such as the force applied to the block, the surface it is on, and the mass of the block itself. Friction and air resistance can also affect the acceleration of the block.

5. Why is it important to understand acceleration?

Understanding acceleration is important because it helps us understand how objects move and how different forces can affect their motion. It is also a fundamental concept in physics and is used in many real-world applications, such as engineering and transportation.