How Does Friction Affect the Acceleration and Tension in a Two-Block System?

• Thread starter dkajsdk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary: That would accelerate block M - mass 2.5kg - at about 2.6 m/s/s.Or, it would accelerate the system of block M and m - combined mass 3kg - at about 2.1m/s/s.
dkajsdk

Homework Statement

A block of mass m = 0.500 kg rests on top of a block of mass M = 2.50 kg which is on the
floor. A string attached to the block of mass M is pulled so that its tension is T = 7.00 N
at a 25.0o angle to the horizontal as shown. The blocks move together across the
horizontal surface. The coefficient of static friction at the surface between the blocks is
μs = 0.410. There is no friction at the surface between block M and the floor.

a) What is the acceleration of the two-block system?

b) What is magnitude and direction of the total force (combination of normal force
and frictional force) on block m due to block M?

c) The tension T is now increased - what is the maximum tension, Tmax, with which
the string can be pulled such that the blocks continue to move together (i.e. that
the block of mass m does not start to slide on top of the block of mass M)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part a and got 2.11 m/s^2 but i have no clue about part b and c. please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part b): what is happening to block m?

PeroK said:
For part b): what is happening to block m?
Since there is friction, block m is not moving. Only M is moving.?

When the question says "the blocks move together ...", how do you interpret that?

PeroK said:
When the question says "the blocks move together ...", how do you interpret that?
An analysis that comes to mind is pulling a sled with a child on it...except there is no incline

Is block m accelerating?

PeroK said:
Is block m accelerating?
no

dkajsdk said:
no

You might want to revise your answer to part a), where I imagine you calculated the acceleration of the two block system. You should recalculate for acceleration of mass M only?

How did you get 2.11m/s/s if block m doesn't move?

PeroK said:
You might want to revise your answer to part a), where I imagine you calculated the acceleration of the two block system. You should recalculate for acceleration of mass M only?

I found the x and y components of the tension with the angle. Since acceleration is horizontal and not vertical, only the x component is considered. I used Newton's 2nd Law, 7cos25=ma, and when I solved for a, I got 2.11m/s^2. This is only for mass M (the one without friction). Was I supposed to include both blocks? If mass m is not moving, then shouldn't it be fine that we only consider block M?

PeroK said:

I reckon cos25 is about 0.9, so the horizontal force is about 6.3N.

That would accelerate block M - mass 2.5kg - at about 2.6 m/s/s.

Or, it would accelerate the system of block M and m - combined mass 3kg - at about 2.1m/s/s.

So, how did you get 2.1m/s/s assuming only block M moves?

Last edited:

1. What is the "Block on block problem"?

The "Block on block problem" refers to a classic physics problem involving two blocks stacked on top of each other and connected by a string or spring. The lower block is on a horizontal surface, and the upper block is pulled by a force, causing the lower block to move.

2. What are the main factors that affect the "Block on block problem"?

The main factors that affect the "Block on block problem" include the mass of the blocks, the friction between the blocks and the surface, the length and stiffness of the connecting string or spring, and the applied force.

3. How do you calculate the acceleration of the blocks in the "Block on block problem"?

The acceleration of the blocks can be calculated using Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this problem, the net force is the applied force minus the frictional force between the blocks and the surface.

4. What is the significance of the "Block on block problem" in physics?

The "Block on block problem" is a common example used in physics to illustrate concepts such as friction, Newton's laws of motion, and the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It also highlights the importance of considering all the forces acting on an object in order to accurately predict its motion.

5. How can the "Block on block problem" be applied in real-world situations?

The "Block on block problem" can be used to analyze and understand the motion of objects in various real-world situations, such as a car braking, a person pushing a shopping cart, or a pulley system. It can also be used to design and optimize mechanical systems, such as elevators or cranes.