Solving the problemWhat is the Laplace Transform of t.H(t-a)?

In summary: Since \mathcal{L}\{ s} = 1 , the last equation is just the inverse of the first equation, which yields;\mathcal{L}\{ H(t-a) \} = \frac{1}{s}e^{−as}\cdot 1
adamwitt

Homework Statement

Find the Laplace Transform of t.H(t-a) where H is the heavyside (unit step) function.

Homework Equations

Properties of Laplace Transforms

L{t.f(t)} = -Y'(s)

L{f(t-a).H(t-a)} = e-as.F(s)

Maybe another one I don't know about?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to apply the two properties since they both match one half of the relevant information, but neither of them match the situation exactly. ie. one only refers to "t" on it's own as the input, while the other only refers to t-a as the input.

What do I do? o_O

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by using

[itex] \mathcal{L}\{ f(t-a)\cdot H(t-a)\} = e^{-as}\cdot F(s) [/itex]

Just substitute [itex] f(t-a) [/itex] with [itex] 1 [/itex] and this should give you the laplace transform of [itex] H(t-a) [/itex].

Then you could proceed by using the first of your two properties of the Laplace transform

[itex] \mathcal{L}\{ t\cdot f(t)\} = -F'(s) [/itex]

... to evaluate [itex] \mathcal{L}\{ t\cdot H(t-a)\} [/itex]

Last edited:
If it's still unclear let me know, however I have deliberately restrained myself from giving you a complete solution as this is not permitted here on PF.

hrm thanks for helping but still unclear.

How am I allowed to substitute "t-a" = 1 ? isn't that just assigning it an arbitrary value? shouldn't I only be substituting it for another variable, if anything?

Even once I get the Laplace of H(t-a), how do I then use that transform to find t.f(t) ?

You are not substituting [itex] t-a [/itex] with [itex] 1 [/itex], you are substituting (or I am :P) [itex] f(t-a) [/itex] with [itex] 1 [/itex] such that, according to

[itex] \mathcal{L}\{ f(t−a)⋅H(t−a)\} =e^{−as}\cdot F(s) [/itex]

one gets

[itex] \mathcal{L}\{ 1⋅H(t−a)\} =e^{−as}\cdot\mathcal{L}\{ 1 \} [/itex]

If you don't remember what [itex] \mathcal{L} \{ 1 \} [/itex] is, then just use the definition:

[itex] \mathcal{L} \{ 1 \} = \int_0^\infty 1\cdot e^{-st} \; dt [/itex]

From this you should be able to find

[itex] \mathcal{L} \{ H(t-a) \} [/itex]

You also asked how one would proceed using the

[itex] \mathcal{L}\{ t\cdot f(t)\} =−F'(s) [/itex]

to find

[itex] \mathcal{L}\{ t\cdot H(t-a)\} [/itex]

Well, all i can do is hint you in the right direction. You need to realize that [itex] F'(s) [/itex] is the derivative of the transform of [itex] f(t) [/itex]. And thus when you replace [itex] f(t) [/itex] with [itex] H(t-a) [/itex] you also replace [itex] F'(s) [/itex] with the derivative of [itex] \mathcal{L} \{ H(t-a) \} [/itex].

Point out which parts of what I've written so far you don't understand and I'll try to help you as much as I can without spelling it out for you :P

Last edited:
Why do I care what the laplace of H(t-a) is?

How do I use e^(-as).L{1} to find H(t-a) ?

The Laplace of H(t-a) is e^(-as).(1/s)

But I don't see how that helps me?

This isn't for homework by the way its for an exam I have in a few days time. I generally learn best from seeing looking at the solution and deconstructing it into the different steps and looking at how each property is applied, as opposed to trying to cryptically figure out something that already confuses me :P

Apply the formula [itex] L\{t f(t)\}(s) = -F'(s)[/itex] to the function f(t) = H(t-a).

RGV

Last edited:
[itex] \mathcal{L}\{ f(t−a)\cdot H(t−a)\} = e^{−as}\cdot F(s) [/itex]

This is the identity that gives you [itex] \mathcal{L} \{ H(t-a) \} [/itex].

Just substitute [itex] f(t-a) [/itex] with [itex] 1 [/itex]... the identity now looks as follows

[itex] \mathcal{L}\{ 1\cdot H(t−a)\} = e^{−as}\cdot \mathcal{L}\{ 1 \} [/itex]

Clearly the left hand side is just the transform of [itex] H(t-a) [/itex] and [itex] F(s) [/itex] is the transform of [itex] f(t) = 1 [/itex] . Since [itex] \mathcal{L}\{ 1\} = \frac{1}{s} [/itex], we have that;

[itex] \mathcal{L}\{ H(t−a)\} = e^{−as}\cdot \mathcal{L}\{ 1 \} = e^{−as}\cdot \frac{1}{s}[/itex].

From here on you proceed in the same manner using the other identity that you have been given...

[itex] \mathcal{L}\{ t\cdot f(t)\} =−F'(s) [/itex]

Now you replace [itex] f(t) [/itex] with [itex] H(t-a) [/itex] and thus, since [itex] F(s) [/itex] is always the transform of f(t), it is now the transform of [itex] H(t-a) [/itex] which we have found above.

The identity therefore yields...

[itex] \mathcal{L}\{ t\cdot H(t-a)\} =−\frac{d}{ds}e^{−as}\cdot \frac{1}{s} = \cdots [/itex]

Last edited:

Related to Solving the problemWhat is the Laplace Transform of t.H(t-a)?

1. What is the Laplace Transform of t.H(t-a)?

The Laplace Transform of t.H(t-a) is defined as the integral of the function t.H(t-a) multiplied by the exponential function e^(-st), where s is a complex variable. This transform is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems with time-dependent inputs.

2. How is the Laplace Transform of t.H(t-a) calculated?

To calculate the Laplace Transform of t.H(t-a), the function t.H(t-a) is first multiplied by the exponential function e^(-st), and then integrated with respect to t from 0 to infinity. The resulting integral is then solved using the properties and rules of Laplace transforms.

3. What is the significance of the "a" parameter in t.H(t-a)?

The "a" parameter in t.H(t-a) represents the time shift of the function. This means that the function t.H(t-a) is equal to zero for all values of t less than a, and equal to t for all values of t greater than or equal to a. This time shift can affect the shape and behavior of the function and its Laplace Transform.

4. Can the Laplace Transform of t.H(t-a) be used to solve differential equations?

Yes, the Laplace Transform of t.H(t-a) can be used to solve differential equations with time-dependent inputs. By taking the Laplace Transform of both sides of a differential equation, the equation can be transformed into an algebraic equation that can be solved for the desired variable.

5. Are there any applications of the Laplace Transform of t.H(t-a) in real-world systems?

Yes, the Laplace Transform of t.H(t-a) has many applications in real-world systems, particularly in engineering and physics. It is commonly used in control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis to model and analyze systems with time-dependent inputs. It is also used in the field of optics to describe the propagation of electromagnetic waves through a medium.