Solving the Physics Problem: Car and Truck Acceleration

In summary, the conversation was about a physics problem involving a car and a truck with constant velocities. The question asked how far beyond the traffic light the car would overtake the truck. The conversation discussed using two equations with two unknowns and the equation x(t)=x_0+v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2 to solve the problem. The conversation also mentioned that the acceleration of the car was 6 \frac{ft}{s^2}. The person eventually figured out the solution with the help of the expert.
boxelderbug
I'm not really good at physics so relevant any feedback would be helpful. Here's the question;
At the instant a traffic light turns green, a car starts with a constant velocity of 6.0 ft/s. At the same instant a truck, traveling with a constant speed of 34 ft/s, overtakes and passes the car. How far beyond the traffic light will the car overtake the truck?
This is what I got so far;
The acceleration of both the truck and the car is zero.
truck: x=34(ft/s)t
Car: x=(1/2)(6.0ft/s+34ft/s)t=20t
This is where I get stuck. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I'm not doing?
I know that I will have to use two equations with two unknowns. By doing this I should get me the time it takes for the car to catch up to truck. Then I can plug the time back into get the distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got confused on the acceleration of the car. If an object is changing its velocity -whether by a constant amount or a varying amount - then it is an accelerating object. And an object with a constant velocity is not accelerating. Therefore, the acceleration of the car would be 28(ft/s)/t

You should be able to use the equation:
[tex]x(t)=x_0+v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
to solve this. To see when the truck overtakes the car you can determine the time at which the two are in the same position.

BTW: I'm guessing that the acceleration of the car is [tex]6 \frac{ft}{s^2}[/tex]

Well thank you, I've figured it out and I'm assuming that I just had to take the derivative to get the acceleration, duh. Thanks for all of your help.

Related to Solving the Physics Problem: Car and Truck Acceleration

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a car or truck?

The acceleration of a car or truck can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of a car or truck?

The acceleration of a car or truck is affected by several factors, including the engine power, the weight of the vehicle, and the friction between the tires and the road. Other factors such as air resistance and incline of the road can also affect acceleration.

3. How does the mass of a car or truck influence its acceleration?

The mass of a car or truck has a direct influence on its acceleration. A heavier vehicle will require more force to accelerate, resulting in a slower acceleration compared to a lighter vehicle.

4. Can a car or truck have negative acceleration?

Yes, a car or truck can have negative acceleration, also known as deceleration or retardation. This occurs when the vehicle is slowing down, either due to braking or natural resistance forces like air resistance or friction.

5. How does the acceleration of a car or truck affect its speed and distance traveled?

The acceleration of a car or truck directly affects its speed and distance traveled. The greater the acceleration, the faster the vehicle will reach a certain speed and the longer the distance it will cover in a given time. Additionally, a constant acceleration will result in a linear increase in speed and a quadratic increase in distance traveled.