Common velocity after truck starts pulling a car

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the common velocity of a truck and car connected by a rope, using either the conservation of momentum or energy. It is noted that using momentum would be more accurate due to inner forces in the system affecting kinetic energy.
nikolafmf

Homework Statement

Truck is connected to a car with a rope of given length. The truck starts accelerating with a given acceleration and at some moment starts pulling the car. What is their common velocity just after the car starts moving?

Homework Equations

I know how to calculate the velocity of the truck just before the car starts moving. Than I use the conservation of momentum or the conservation of energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get different results when I use momentum and when I use kinetic energy. Which one is conserved, which is not and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course you get different results. In order for the car to instantly get up to the speed of the truck you have what is essentially a completely inelastic collision between the two.

Thank you. So conservation of momentum would be the right thing. I have also found that inner forces in the system are relevant for the change of the kinetic energy of a system, but not for the change of momentum. And I do have change of inner forces in this system.

Related to Common velocity after truck starts pulling a car

1. What is the common velocity after a truck starts pulling a car?

The common velocity after a truck starts pulling a car depends on several factors such as the weight and size of both the truck and the car, the strength and power of the truck's engine, the type of terrain, and the driving conditions. It is not possible to determine a specific common velocity without considering these variables.

2. Is the common velocity the same for all trucks and cars?

No, the common velocity after a truck starts pulling a car will vary depending on the specific characteristics of the truck and car involved. Factors such as weight, engine power, and terrain will all affect the common velocity.

3. Does the common velocity increase or decrease over time?

The common velocity after a truck starts pulling a car may increase or decrease over time depending on the driving conditions and how the driver handles the vehicle. If the truck is accelerating, the common velocity will increase. On the other hand, if the truck is slowing down, the common velocity will decrease.

4. How does the common velocity affect the fuel efficiency of the truck and car?

The common velocity after a truck starts pulling a car can affect the fuel efficiency of both vehicles. If both vehicles are moving at a constant common velocity, they will have better fuel efficiency compared to stop-and-go driving. However, if the common velocity is too high, it can decrease the fuel efficiency due to increased air resistance and friction.

5. What is the role of friction in determining the common velocity after a truck starts pulling a car?

Friction plays a crucial role in determining the common velocity after a truck starts pulling a car. Friction between the tires and the road surface will determine how easily the truck can move the car. If there is too much friction, the common velocity will be lower, and if there is less friction, the common velocity will be higher.