Solving the IVP for x=c_1\cos{t}+c_2\sin{t}: Solution to DE & Initial Conditions

In summary, x=c_1\cos{t}+c_2\sin{t} is a two-parameter family of solutions of the DE x''+x=0. To find a solution of the IVP, initial conditions x(\frac{\pi}{6})=\frac{1}{2} and x'(\frac{\pi}{6})=0 are provided. Using trigonometric identities, we can simplify the equations and obtain a 2x2 system of equations in terms of the parameters c_1 and c_2. Solving for these parameters, we get c_1=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4} and c_2=\frac{1}{4}. This verifies that the
find_the_fun
\(\displaystyle x=c_1\cos{t}+c_2\sin{t}\) is a two-parameter family of solutions of the DE \(\displaystyle x''+x=0\) Find a solution of the IVP consisting of this differential equation and the following initial conditions:
\(\displaystyle x(\frac{\pi}{6})=\frac{1}{2}\) and \(\displaystyle x'\frac{\pi}{6}=0\)

So \(\displaystyle x'=c_2\cos{t}-c_1\sin{t}\)
\(\displaystyle x''=-c_2\sin{t}-c_1\cos{t}\)

First thing I'm confused about, I tried to simplify by plugging these into the DE to get.
So \(\displaystyle -c_2\sin{t}-c_1\cos{t}+c_1 \cos{t}+c_2\sin{t}\) which cancels each other off. Why does this happen, what am I doing wrong, how is this not a problem?

Let's try a different approach and solve for \(\displaystyle c_1\) or \(\displaystyle c_2\).

We've got \(\displaystyle x=c_1\cos{t}+c_2\sin{t}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}=c_1\cos{\frac{\pi}{6}}+c_2\sin{\frac{pi}{6}}\)
Solving for \(\displaystyle c_1=\frac{-c_2 \sin{ \frac{\pi}{6}}}{2 \cos{\frac{\pi}{6}}}\)

for the other initial condition we've got \(\displaystyle -c_1\sin{\frac{\pi}{6}}+c_2\cos{\frac{\pi}{6}}=0\)
\(\displaystyle c_2=\frac{c_1 \sin{\frac{\pi}{6}}}{\cos{\frac{\pi}{6}}}\)

Substituting in we've got \(\displaystyle c_1=\frac{\frac{-c_1\sin{\frac{\pi}{6}}}{\cos{frac{\pi}{6}}}}\sin{\frac{\pi}{6}}}}{2\cos\frac{\pi}{6}}}\) which is really ugly.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can greatly simplify matters be observing that \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{6}\) is a special angle. What are:

\(\displaystyle \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{6} \right)\)

\(\displaystyle \cos\left(\frac{\pi}{6} \right)\) ?

You have verified that the given solution is valid by demonstrating that:

\(\displaystyle x''(t)+x(t)=0\)

So, what you want to do (as you did, but use the values of the trig. functions you find above) is generate the 2X2 system of equations from:

\(\displaystyle x\left(\frac{\pi}{6} \right)=\frac{1}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle x'\left(\frac{\pi}{6} \right)=0\)

MarkFL said:
You can greatly simplify matters be observing that \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{6}\) is a special angle. What are:

\(\displaystyle \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{6} \right)\)

\(\displaystyle \cos\left(\frac{\pi}{6} \right)\) ?

[/MATH]
Ah my calculator wasn't in rad mode.

\(\displaystyle \sin{\frac{\pi}{6}}=\frac{1}{2}\)
\(\displaystyle \cos{\frac{\pi}{6}}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\)

This is really one of those angles for which you should know the values of the trig. functions. :D

So, using these values, what system of equations do you obtain in the two parameters using the given initial values?

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}=c_1\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}+\frac{c_2}{2}\) which can be rewritten as \(\displaystyle c_2=1-c_1\sqrt{3}\)

and from the other equation

\(\displaystyle 0=\frac{-c_1}{2}+\frac{c_2 \sqrt{3}}{2}\) which can be rewritten as \(\displaystyle c_1=c_2\sqrt{3}\)

This gives \(\displaystyle c_2=1-(c_2\sqrt{3})\sqrt{3}\) therefore \(\displaystyle c_2=\frac{1}{4}\) and \(\displaystyle c_1=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\)

By the way I won't be offended if there's something I should really know, so tell me.

You did fine, I got the same values for the parameters. (Sun)

Related to Solving the IVP for x=c_1\cos{t}+c_2\sin{t}: Solution to DE & Initial Conditions

1. What is an initial value problem (IVP)?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves finding a function that satisfies both the differential equation and a set of initial conditions. The initial conditions provide the starting point for finding the particular solution to the differential equation.

2. What is the general solution to DE for x=c1cos(t)+c2sin(t)?

The general solution to this differential equation is x(t)=Acos(t)+Bsin(t), where A and B are constants. This solution is obtained by solving the differential equation using standard methods, such as separation of variables or using an integrating factor.

3. How do you find the particular solution to the IVP for x=c1cos(t)+c2sin(t)?

To find the particular solution, you must first substitute the initial conditions into the general solution. This will give you a system of equations involving the constants A and B. You can then solve for A and B using algebraic methods to obtain the specific solution to the IVP.

4. What are some common methods for solving initial value problems?

Some common methods for solving initial value problems include separation of variables, using integrating factors, and using power series solutions. Other techniques such as Laplace transforms and numerical methods may also be used in more complex cases.

5. What are the practical applications of solving initial value problems?

Solving initial value problems is important in many fields of science and engineering, as it allows us to model and understand dynamic systems. Examples of applications include predicting population growth, analyzing circuits and electrical networks, and understanding the behavior of chemical reactions.