Solving the Equation for Bacterial Growth in Experimentation

• Thread starter iamthegelo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Growth
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation for the growth of bacteria in an experiment, which is proportional to the number present but is being reduced at a constant rate. The equation is given as d(N)/dt = KN-R, where N is the number of bacteria, K is the proportionality constant, and R is the reduction rate. The individual attempts at solving the equation are discussed, including the use of separation and integration to arrive at the final equation N = Ce^{Kt} - (R/K)(e^{Kt}-1). The use of limits is also explained in solving the differential equation.
iamthegelo

Homework Statement

The growth of bacteria is proportional to the number present but is being reduced at a constant rate for experimentation. Find the equation for N

Homework Equations

d(N)/dt = KN-R , N = number of bacteria, K = proportionality const., R = reduction rate.

The Attempt at a Solution

Above was my guess to what the differential equation should look like...it's a separable equation. My question: Is the above formula the right formula based on my understanding of the question? With that equation I can't seem to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems reasonable. Try doing the regular thing, which is to separate t and N to different sides of the equation like this

[tex] \frac{dN}{KN-R} = dt [/tex]

and then integrate. You also need to assume that KN>R. What does this mean?

I tried that but I just can't seem to get it right. I don't get the same solution as the book. By the way the question is No. 22 of Section 2 in Chapter 8 of Boas' Math Methods for those that have the book.

I integrate those and get,

(1/K)*ln(KN-R) = t + ln(C) , C is the initial number of bacteria...I put in ln(C) for simplification.

Okay, so you have ln(KN- R)= KT+ Kln(C) and from that [itex]KN-R= (Ce^K) e^{KT}[/itex]. [itex]KN= R+ (Ce^K)e^{KT}[/itex] and, finally, [itex]N= R/K+ (Ce^K/K)e^{KT}[/itex]. What is the answer in the book?

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer in the book is,

[itex] N = Ce^{Kt} - (R/K)(e^{Kt}-1) [/itex]

So, how do you solve the DE?

[tex] \int_{N(t_0)}^{N(t)} \frac{dN}{KN-R} = \int_{t_0}^t dt [/tex]

where t_0 is arbitrary (choose zero)

Thanks, I just got it. Can you tell me why I needed the limits? The other one before this didn't have the R (reduction) so the equation was just

[tex] N = N_0e^{Kt} [/tex]

When I was solving that I didn't need limits.

The limits contain the constant of integration in a more transparent way; you don't need to be guessing the correct forms. You could have just as well derived the case R=0 with the limits, probably with less work too.

Related to Solving the Equation for Bacterial Growth in Experimentation

1. How do you calculate the growth rate of bacteria in an experiment?

The growth rate of bacteria can be calculated by measuring the change in population size over a specific time period. This can be done by counting the number of bacteria present at the beginning and end of the experiment and using the following formula: Growth rate = (final population size - initial population size) / initial population size x 100%

2. What factors can affect the growth rate of bacteria?

Several factors can affect the growth rate of bacteria in an experiment, including temperature, pH level, availability of nutrients, and presence of other organisms. These factors can either promote or inhibit bacterial growth, so it is important to control for them in an experiment.

3. How do you determine the generation time of bacteria in an experiment?

The generation time of bacteria refers to the amount of time it takes for the population to double in size. To determine this in an experiment, you can measure the time it takes for the population to reach a certain threshold (e.g. double the initial size) and divide it by the number of generations that occurred during that time.

4. What is the difference between exponential and logistic growth in bacteria?

Exponential growth in bacteria occurs when the population size increases dramatically over a short period of time, while logistic growth occurs when the population reaches its carrying capacity and growth slows down. Exponential growth is typically seen in ideal laboratory conditions, while logistic growth is more common in natural environments.

5. How can the equation for bacterial growth be used in practical applications?

The equation for bacterial growth can be used in various practical applications, such as predicting the growth rate of bacteria in food preservation and determining the effectiveness of antibiotics in inhibiting bacterial growth. It can also be used to study the growth patterns of different bacteria and how they respond to different environmental conditions.