Solving the Binomial Theorem: (2x^2 - 1/x)^10

In summary, the conversation discussed simplifying the binomial expansion of (2x^2 - 1/x)^10 and finding the 7th term, determining if there is an x^5 term and its coefficient, and the existence of a constant term. It also touched on using hints to develop a formula and finding the sum of the first n even squares.
masterofthewave124
1. For each of the following, simplify so that the variable term is raised is to a single power:
(a) State the General Term tr in the Binomial expansion of (2x^2 - 1/x)^10
(b) Find the 7th term in the expansion
(c) Is there an x^5 term? Find its coefficient.
(d) Is there a constant term [independent of x] ? Find it if there is?

this is what i have so far...

a) tr = C(10,r) (2x^2)^(10-r)*(-1/x)^r
= C(10,r) 2^(10-r) * x^(20-r)* (-1)^r * x^-r
= 2^(10-r) * (-1)^r * C(10,r) * x^(20-3r)

b) Since it is t7, r = 6

so t7 = 2^4 * (-1)^6 * C(10,6) * x^2
= 3360x^2

c) Let 20-3r = 5, so r = 5.

So t5 = 2^5 * (-1)^5 * C(10,5) * x^2
and the coefficient is -8064

d) Let 20-3r = 0
r = 20/3 so there is no constant term?

a somewhat unrelated topic, but another quesiton...

2. http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/4540/explicit9uq.jpg

how can i utilize the hints to develop a formula?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
b) So, you can find the 'general' term, but not the 7th? r goes from 0 to 10 in a) so the 7th term is when r=6. c) that is not a coefficient; the coefficient is the number that multiplies the x^5 term (see d))

d) if you can do c) you can do d) unless you just put r=5 because you saw x^5 and thought that automatically meant r=5. constant means x^0.

thanks matt, i edited my post around the same time you posted! can you check what i have now? and any help for the second question?

I would prefer to use the statement that (x^2)^r(1/x)^(10-r) always gives an odd power of x, hence there is no x^0 term. I dislike intensely unnecessary proofs that rely on showing something supposed to be an integer isn't by using fractions. Call me an old fuss pot if you must. But it is completely unnecessary to do this as a 'contradiction', as are many contradiction proofs.

Last edited:
For the second question, find the sum of the first n even squares (this should be easy), and then subtract this off the sum of the first 2n squares.

thanks for the information! more power

Related to Solving the Binomial Theorem: (2x^2 - 1/x)^10

1. What is the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem is a mathematical formula that allows us to expand a binomial expression raised to a certain power. It is used to simplify and solve complex mathematical equations.

2. How do you solve the Binomial Theorem?

To solve the Binomial Theorem, we use the formula (a+b)^n = nC0 * a^n + nC1 * a^(n-1) * b + nC2 * a^(n-2) * b^2 + ... + nCn * b^n. In this formula, n represents the power, a and b are the terms in the binomial expression, and nCr (n choose r) represents the combination of n objects taken r at a time.

3. What is the binomial coefficient in the Binomial Theorem?

The binomial coefficient, represented by nCr, is the number of ways to choose r objects from a set of n objects without regard to order. It is calculated using the formula nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n! (n factorial) represents the product of all positive integers from 1 to n.

4. Can the Binomial Theorem be applied to all types of binomial expressions?

Yes, the Binomial Theorem can be applied to all types of binomial expressions, including those with variables and exponents. It can also be used to find the coefficients of each term in the expanded expression.

5. How is the Binomial Theorem used in science?

The Binomial Theorem is used in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It can be used to simplify equations and make calculations more efficient. It is also used in probability calculations and in modeling biological processes.