Solving the Bessel Equation: Find Solutions & Justify

In summary, the problem is asking for the value of y(x) at x = 0, which is when Y0(x) goes to infinity. However, because C2 must be zero to satisfy the first boundary condition, you can solve for C1 to get y(0) = C1J0(0)+C_2Y0(0).
Telemachus
Hi there. I'm working with the Bessel equation, and I have this problem. It says:
a) Given the equation
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}+\frac{1}{t}\frac{dy}{dt}+4t^2y(t)=0[/tex]
Use the substitution [tex]x=t^2[/tex] to find the general solution

b) Find the particular solution that verifies [tex]y(0)=5[/tex]
c) Does any solution accomplish [tex]y'(0)=2[/tex]? Justify.

Well, so what I did is:
[tex]x=t^2 \rightarrow t=\sqrt{x}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dx}2t[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}4t^2+2\frac{dy}{dx}=4x\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+2\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Then [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}+\frac{1}{t}\frac{dy}{dt}+4t^2y(t)=\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+\frac{1}{x}\frac{dy}{dx}+y(x)=0[/tex]

Now I'm not pretty sure what I should do to solve this. I thought of using Frobenius, would that be right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you solved the Bessel equation

x2y'' + xy' +(x2-n2)y =0

in class, with its solutions Jn(x) and Yn(x)? If you multilply your equation by x2 it looks like that with n = 0.

If so, that would save you some work. Otherwise, yes, multiply it by x2 and do a series solution.

Yes, you're right. Thanks.

I have that one solution would be [tex]J_{\nu},\nu=0[/tex] but I'm not to sure about the other linear independent solution, cause if I use [tex]Y_{\nu}=\frac{\cos \nu\pi J_{\nu}-J_{-\nu}}{\sin \nu\pi}[/tex] I got that [tex]Y_{0}=\frac{\cos 0\pi J_0-J_{-0}}{\sin 0\pi}[/tex] which is not defined, right?

I'm sorry, is the first time I'm working with this, probably I'm committing a really stupid mistake.

It still no clear how is that [tex]Y_0[/tex] is well defined, but anyway, I've accepted that it is, and tried to go on. But now the problem asks me to evaluate my solution, which is: [tex]y(x)=C_1J_0+C_2Y_0[/tex] in zero, which is: [tex]y(0)=C_1J_0(0)+C_2Y_0(0)[/tex] to verify the condition, and the thing is that the function [tex]Y_{\nu}[/tex] goes to -infinity in x=0, right? how should I proceed?

Last edited:
Telemachus said:
But now the problem asks me to evaluate my solution, which is: [tex]y(x)=C_1J_0+C_2Y_0[/tex] in zero, which is: [tex]y(0)=C_1J_0(0)+C_2Y_0(0)[/tex] to verify the condition, and the thing is that the function [tex]Y_{\nu}[/tex] goes to -infinity in x=0, right? how should I proceed?

Your boundary condition that y(0) be finite tells you that C2 must be zero because, as you have noted, Y0(x) blows up at x = 0.

Don't forget that x = t2 when you back substitute. I think if you look at the series for J0 you will see how to pick C1 to satisfy the first boundary condition. Then use the series to answer the second question.

Related to Solving the Bessel Equation: Find Solutions & Justify

1. What is the Bessel equation?

The Bessel equation is a type of differential equation that is commonly used in mathematical physics. It is named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and is used to describe certain physical phenomena, such as vibrations and waves.

2. How do you solve the Bessel equation?

The Bessel equation can be solved using various methods, such as power series solutions, Frobenius method, or integral transforms. The specific method used will depend on the type of Bessel equation and the boundary conditions given.

3. What are the solutions to the Bessel equation?

The solutions to the Bessel equation are called Bessel functions and are denoted by Jn(x) and Yn(x). These functions are used to solve a wide range of physical problems, including heat conduction, fluid flow, and electromagnetism.

4. How do you justify the solutions to the Bessel equation?

The solutions to the Bessel equation can be justified using various techniques, such as substitution, differentiation, and boundary conditions. These techniques help to confirm that the solutions obtained are valid and satisfy the original equation.

5. What are the applications of the Bessel equation?

The Bessel equation has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to model physical phenomena such as heat conduction, fluid flow, and electromagnetic waves. It is also used in signal processing, image analysis, and other areas of mathematics.