Solving the alternating sum of binomial coefficients using telescoping series

In summary, the conversation is discussing a mathematical problem involving the alternating sum of binomial coefficients and its value. The person is trying to solve it using proof by induction and is seeking help in finding a solution. After further research, they realize that the problem is a telescoping series and are looking for a clever way to expand an expression to find the solution.
a8281333
I havn't done this in a long time! And apparently I should know this easy, it sort of looks like a proof by induction, which I havn't done before and I am frantically trying to learn!

Show that for each integer n the alternating sum of binomial coefficients:

1 - (n) + ... + (-1)^k(n) + ... + (-1)^(n-1)( n ) + (-1)^n
...(1)......(k)...... ...(n-1)
is zero. What is the value of the sum

(so what I've done here is started with an "inductive basis of n=1 which kind of suggests it goes to zero but without the appropriate conciseness)

1 + (n) + ... + (n) + ... + ( n ) +1
...(1)...(k)...(n-1)

I understand the layout is a bit rubbish but I hope you can fathom it!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE! After a bit of research, am I correct in assuming this is a telescoping series?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Binomial" is the key word here. Try to find a clever way to manufacture what you see in front of you by expanding some expression.

Related to Solving the alternating sum of binomial coefficients using telescoping series

1. What is a binomial series?

A binomial series is a mathematical series that represents the expansion of a binomial expression. It is used to find the value of a binomial expression raised to a positive integer power.

2. How is a binomial series calculated?

The binomial series is calculated using the binomial theorem, which states that for any real or complex numbers a and b, and any non-negative integer n, the following formula holds: (a + b)^n = ∑(k=0 to n) (n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k, where (n choose k) is the binomial coefficient.

3. What are the applications of binomial series?

Binomial series have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to model and solve various problems, including probability distributions, Taylor series expansions, and electrical circuits.

4. How accurate is the binomial series approximation?

The accuracy of the binomial series approximation depends on the number of terms used in the series. The more terms included, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, the series may converge slowly for some values of a and b, and in those cases, a different series or method may be more appropriate.

5. Can binomial series be used for non-integer powers?

Yes, the binomial series can be used for non-integer powers through the use of the generalized binomial theorem. This theorem extends the binomial theorem to allow for fractional and negative exponents, providing a more versatile tool for solving mathematical problems.