Solving Tensor Notation Issue Homework

In summary, the Wikipedia article on four-momentum explains that the Minkowski norm of the four-momentum is a Lorentz invariant quantity equal to the square of a particle's proper mass. This can be calculated by taking the dot product of P^\mu and P_\mu, where P^\mu is well-defined but P_\mu needs to have its index raised. The notation \eta_{\mu\nu} P^\mu P^\nu can be understood by working with the indices and noticing that \eta_{\mu \nu} is only non-zero when \mu = \nu and is 1 except when \mu = \nu = 0 where it is -1.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

I'm looking at the wikipedia article about four-momentum and I can't seem to get things right. It says

Calculating the Minkowski norm of the four-momentum gives a Lorentz invariant quantity equal (up to factors of the ''c'') to the square of the particle's proper mass:

[tex]-||\mathbf{P}||^2 = - P^\mu P_\mu = - \eta_{\mu\nu} P^\mu P^\nu = {E^2 \over c^2} - |\vec p|^2 = m^2c^2 [/tex]

where we use the convention that

[tex]\eta^{\mu\nu} = \begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

is the reciprocal of the metric tensor of special relativity.

So I get that I can do that straightforward by taking the dot product [tex]P^\mu P_\mu[/tex] (I don't know why there is a minus sign, but that's wikipedia after all). But how to calculate it from:

[tex] \eta_{\mu\nu} P^\mu P^\nu[/tex]?

Should I contract the given [tex]\eta^{\mu\nu}[/tex] using [tex]g^{\mu\nu}[/tex]? ([tex]eta^{\mu\nu}=g^{\mu \alpha}g^{\nu \beta}\eta_{\alpha \beta}[/tex])?

And how does that act on [tex]P^\mu P^\nu[/tex]? Since the indices should stand for certain [tex]\eta[/tex] and [tex]\nu[/tex] in those tensors, right?

I'm kinda confused as to how did they manage to get the result using that notation :\

Physics news on Phys.org
My (probably crappy/incorrect) explanation of this is that [tex] P^\mu [/tex] is well defined but [tex] P_\mu [/tex] is not. In order to work with the later, we need to raise it's index, which is fairly trivial in minkowski space (but in curved spacetimes the metric will be more significant).

As far as how to calculate it, just work with the indices, notice that [tex]\eta_{\mu \nu}[/tex] is only non-zero when [tex] \mu = \nu [/tex] and is 1 except when [tex]\mu = \nu = 0 [/tex] where it will be -1. From that I think you get the result.

Last edited:
Isn't a difference in covariant and contravariant 4 - vectors in just - signs for covariant space coordinates?

[tex]P^\mu=\begin{pmatrix}
E\\
p_1\\
p_2\\
p_3\end{pmatrix}[/tex] and then

[tex]P_\mu=\begin{pmatrix}
E\\
-p_1\\
-p_2\\
-p_3\end{pmatrix}[/tex]? Because then the dot product is straightforward:

[tex]P^\mu P_\mu=E^2-p_1^2-p_2^2-p_3^2[/tex].

That part is clear, what is not is how to deal with the [tex]\eta_{\mu\nu} P^\mu P^\nu[/tex] part...

The whole changing from covariant to contravariant is like that because the metric is simple. In some crazy metric it won't be that simple.

[tex] \eta_{\mu \nu} P^{\mu}=P_{\nu}[/tex]

[tex] \eta_{\mu\nu} P^{\mu} = \begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}
E\\
p_1\\
p_2\\
p_3\end{pmatrix}= - \begin{pmatrix}
E\\
-p_1\\
-p_2\\
-p_3\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Yeah, I assume that I work in standard basis (flat Minkowski space, right?).

I think I got it. Since

[tex]-\eta_{\mu\nu} P^{\mu} =- \begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}
E\\
p_1\\
p_2\\
p_3\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}
E\\
-p_1\\
-p_2\\
-p_3\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Then [tex]-\eta_{\mu\nu} P^\mu P^\nu[/tex] is just

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}
E\\
-p_1\\
-p_2\\
-p_3\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}
E\\
p_1\\
p_2\\
p_3\end{pmatrix}=E^2-p_1^2-p_2^2-p_3^2[/tex]

right?

Related to Solving Tensor Notation Issue Homework

1. What is tensor notation?

Tensor notation is a mathematical notation used to represent tensors, which are multidimensional arrays of numbers that can be used to describe physical quantities such as forces, velocities, and electric fields. It consists of a combination of indices, subscripts, and superscripts to represent the various dimensions and components of a tensor.

2. Why is solving tensor notation issues important?

Tensor notation is used in various fields of science and engineering to describe complex physical systems. However, it can be prone to errors and inconsistencies, which can lead to incorrect results and interpretations. Solving tensor notation issues ensures that the calculations and analyses performed using tensor notation are accurate and reliable.

3. What are some common issues encountered when working with tensor notation?

Some common issues with tensor notation include mismatched indices, mislabeled dimensions, and incorrect use of Einstein notation. These issues can arise due to human error or when working with complex tensor equations that involve multiple operations and transformations.

4. How can I solve tensor notation issues?

Solving tensor notation issues requires careful attention to detail and a thorough understanding of the notation itself. It is important to double-check all indices and dimensions, and to use Einstein notation correctly. Additionally, using computer software or programming languages specifically designed for tensor operations can help minimize errors.

5. Are there any resources available to help with solving tensor notation issues?

Yes, there are various resources available such as textbooks, online tutorials, and forums where experts and fellow scientists can provide guidance and tips on solving tensor notation issues. Additionally, some software packages offer built-in tools for detecting and correcting common tensor notation errors.