Solving Tangent Line Problem: Adding & Subtracting 5 Explained

In summary: They are more natural and more suitable. L'Hopitals rule is a little bit "artificial" in this case.In summary, the conversation is about solving a question involving the derivative of y = ln(e^x + 5). The solution involves using the chain rule and adding and subtracting 5. The attachment shows that as x increases, the slope of the tangent line also increases to a limit of 1. The concept of L'Hopitals rule is also mentioned as an alternative method for evaluating limits.
Bryanaam

Homework Statement

Ok, how do i solve this question
I've attached the picture.. The answer is A but i don't understand how to get that...

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is also given , but i don't understand the adding and subtracting 5. the Derivative of

y=ln (e^x + 5) y'= 1/ ( e ^ x + 5) , where is the extra e^x coming from in the first line of the solution. Also i already mention the adding and substracing 5.. I have no idea what's going on .. PLz Math guru's please help me!

Attachments

• Math Problem.JPG
    Math Problem.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 335
  • Math Solved.JPG
    Math Solved.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
Bryanaam said:
y=ln (e^x + 5) y'= 1/ ( e ^ x + 5) , where is the extra e^x coming from in the first line of the solution.
You have to use the chain rule: y = ln(u) with u = e^x + 5; then y' = dy/du * du/dx

For the rest of your question we'll have to wait to see the attachments.

As CompuChip said, the "extra" ex is from the chain rule:
ln(ex+ 5)= ln(u) with u= ex+ 5. dy/dx= (dy/du)(du/dx)
dy/du= d(ln(u))/du= 1/u and du/dx= d(ex+ 5)/dx= ex
dy/dx= (dy/du)(du/dx)= (1/u)(ex)= (1/(ex+5))ex)= ex/(ex+ 5).

The first attachment asks what happens to the slope of the tangent lines to y= ln(ex[/sup+ 5) as x increases and answers that it increases to a limit of 1.

The second explains that answer by noting that y'= ex/(ex+ 5), as above, and then does the following:
1) add and subtract 5
[tex]\frac{e^x}{e^x+ 5}+ 5- 5[/tex]
which is incorrectly shown!

Probably whoever did the "art" did not understand what was meant. It should be
[tex]\frac{e^x+ 5- 5}{e^x+ 5}[/tex]
with the "5, added and subtracted" in the numerator of the fraction. Of course, since 5- 5= 0, those are equal. Now separate into two fractions
[tex]\frac{e^x+ 5}{e^x+ 5}- \frac{5}{e^x+ 5}= 1- \frac{5}{e^x- 5}[/tex]
As x increases without bound, so does ex and so does the denominator of the second fraction: the fraction goes to 0 so the entire expression goes to 1.

I would have done it a slightly different way, myself. From the original expression,
[tex]\frac{e^x}{e^x+ 5}[/tex]
instead of adding and subtracting 5, divide both numerator and denominator by ex:
[tex]\frac{\frac{e^x}{e^x}}{\frac{e^x+ 5}{e^x}}= \frac{1}{1+ 5e^{-x}}[/tex]
Now, as x increases without bound, 5e-x goes to 0 so that fraction goes to 1.

And a final way would probably to use L'Hopitals rule, but I will not explain that unless the OP requests it because HallsofIvy shows the most common ways, apart from some general techniques with fractions which are quite important.

Thankyou so much Guys.. I think i got the idea now.. BTW Compuchip , what's this L'Hopital rule and how is it applied to this question. I'm curious to find out.. Is it a faster method for doing this problem?

Thanks in Advance.. You guys are awesome

L'Hopitals rule can be used if you have to evaluate a limit
[tex]\lim_{x \to a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex]
where f and g separately tend to either 0 or (plus or minus) infinity. In other words, if just plugging in x = a would produce something like 0/0, or [itex]\infty / \infty[/itex] (or [itex]\infty / -\infty[/itex], [itex]-\infty / \infty[/itex] or [itex]-\infty / -\infty[/itex]).

In this case, you may calculate
[tex]\lim_{x \to a} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex]
and this is equal to original limit.

For your current problem, e^x blows up as x goes to infinity, so the limit would become of the form [itex]\infty / \infty[/itex].
Therefore, by L'Hopitals rule,
[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{e^x}{e^x + 5} = \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{(e^x)'}{(e^x + 5)'} = \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{e^x}{e^x} = \lim_{x \to \infty} 1 = 1.[/tex]

However, I suggest one of the methods HallsofIvy has shown in this case.

Related to Solving Tangent Line Problem: Adding & Subtracting 5 Explained

1. What is the tangent line problem?

The tangent line problem involves finding the slope of a line that is tangent to a given curve at a specific point. This problem is often encountered in calculus and is used to solve a variety of real-world problems.

2. How does adding and subtracting 5 help solve the tangent line problem?

Adding and subtracting 5 allows us to find the slope of a tangent line by using the difference quotient formula. This formula involves finding the difference between two points on the curve, which can be simplified by adding or subtracting 5.

3. Can you explain the process of adding and subtracting 5 in solving the tangent line problem?

To add 5, we simply add 5 to both the x and y coordinates of a point on the curve. This will give us a new point that is 5 units away from the original point. To subtract 5, we do the same but subtract 5 from the x and y coordinates. This allows us to find the slope of a line between these two points, which is the slope of the tangent line.

4. Is adding and subtracting 5 the only way to solve the tangent line problem?

No, there are other methods that can be used to solve the tangent line problem, such as finding the derivative of the curve. However, adding and subtracting 5 is a simple and effective method that can be used in many cases.

5. How can I apply this concept to real-world problems?

The tangent line problem can be applied to various real-world situations, such as finding the rate of change in a business's profits or determining the velocity of an object in motion. By using the slope of the tangent line, we can make accurate predictions and solve practical problems.