Solving Statistics Problem: Age Distribution of Promotion-Sensitive Shoppers

• Thread starter zfolwick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the age distribution of promotion-sensitive shoppers is skewed towards the younger age groups, with the majority falling within the 29-39 and 40-50 age ranges. The standard deviation for ages of super shoppers is 17.39 years.
zfolwick

Homework Statement

What is the age distribution of promotion-sensitive shoppers? A supermarket super shopper is defined as a shopper for whom at least 70% of the items purchased were on sale or purchased with a coupon. The following table is based on information taken from Trends in the United States (Food Marketing Institute, Washington, D.C.).
Age range, years 18-28 29-39 40-50 51-61 62 and over
Midpoint x 23 34 45 56 67
Percent of super shoppers 8% 45% 23% 12% 12%
For the 62-and-over group, use the midpoint 67 years.

(d) Compute the standard deviation σ for ages of super shoppers. (Use 2 decimal places.)

Homework Equations

The expected age was correctly calculated to be 42.25 years

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt 1:
6.5 was my first answer won't work

I tried the following in R:
x<-c(23,34,45,56,67)
percent<-c(.08,.45,.23,.12,.12)
sd(x)
[1] 17.39253

I also tried the following code:
stand<-sum((x-ave)^2*percent)
> stand
[1] 158.2075

which cannot possibly be correct.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
in effect you have a discrete probability distribution, with probability pi for each point xi

the sample SD is given by:
[tex] s = \sqrt{ \sum_i p_i(x_i-\mu)^2}[/tex]

Related to Solving Statistics Problem: Age Distribution of Promotion-Sensitive Shoppers

1. What is the age distribution of promotion-sensitive shoppers?

The age distribution of promotion-sensitive shoppers refers to the percentage of shoppers within different age groups who are influenced by promotional offers when making a purchase. This information can be used to understand the target audience for a particular product or service.

2. How is the age distribution of promotion-sensitive shoppers determined?

The age distribution of promotion-sensitive shoppers is determined through statistical analysis of data collected from a sample of shoppers. This can include surveys, sales data, and other relevant information. The data is then analyzed to determine the percentage of shoppers within different age groups who are influenced by promotions.

3. Why is the age distribution of promotion-sensitive shoppers important?

The age distribution of promotion-sensitive shoppers is important for businesses and marketers as it helps them understand the preferences and behaviors of their target audience. This information can be used to develop effective marketing strategies and target promotions to specific age groups to maximize their impact.

4. How can the age distribution of promotion-sensitive shoppers be used to improve sales?

By understanding the age distribution of promotion-sensitive shoppers, businesses can tailor their promotional offers and marketing strategies to specific age groups. This can lead to increased sales as promotions are more likely to resonate with and influence the target audience.

5. Can the age distribution of promotion-sensitive shoppers change over time?

Yes, the age distribution of promotion-sensitive shoppers can change over time as consumer preferences and behaviors evolve. It is important for businesses to regularly update and analyze this information to ensure their marketing strategies remain effective.