Solving Specific Heat Problem for Oven Mitt Design

In summary, the problem is to find the specific heat of an oven mitt given the amount of heat (200J), mass (5g), and change in temperature (25-500 F). The correct solution involves converting the temperature to Celsius and solving for c, the specific heat.
rtm31

Homework Statement

1. You are designing an oven mitt and you know the amount of heat (200J), the mass the mitt needs to be (5g), and the change in temperature it will undergo (25-500 F). What is the specific heat that your oven mitt needs to be?

Homework Equations

Q = mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

Q=5g*200J*246deg C
= 246,000

I think this should be simple but that answer just doesn't seem right. Did I do it wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are supposed to be solving for c, not Q. How did you get 246 deg C? I don't think that is right.

I just did 500-25 and converted it to celcius. I don't think that's right. So would 200J would be Q then?

rtm31 said:
I just did 500-25 and converted it to celcius. I don't think that's right.

That won't work. Try it by converting both your initial and final temperatures into celcius first and then find the change.
rtm31 said:
So would 200J would be Q then?

Yes, Q is 200 J. Check the definitions of each variable so you know what they represent.

Thanks for your help!

Related to Solving Specific Heat Problem for Oven Mitt Design

1. What is specific heat and why is it important for oven mitt design?

Specific heat is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is important for oven mitt design because it determines how well the material can protect the hands from heat. A higher specific heat means the material can absorb more heat before reaching a dangerous temperature, making it more effective for protecting against burns.

2. How do you calculate the specific heat of a material?

The specific heat of a material can be calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy transferred to the material by the mass of the material and the change in temperature. The formula is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat energy, m is the mass, c is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. How does the specific heat of different materials affect oven mitt design?

The specific heat of different materials can greatly impact oven mitt design. Materials with a higher specific heat, such as silicone or leather, can provide better protection against heat compared to materials with a lower specific heat, such as cotton. It is important for designers to choose materials with a high specific heat to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the oven mitt.

4. How can specific heat be used to improve oven mitt design?

By understanding the specific heat of different materials, designers can choose the most effective materials for oven mitts. They can also use this information to create layers of materials with varying specific heats to provide even better protection against heat. Additionally, specific heat can be used to test and compare the effectiveness of different oven mitt designs.

5. Are there any other factors besides specific heat that should be considered for oven mitt design?

Yes, besides specific heat, designers should also consider factors such as insulation, durability, comfort, and flexibility. These factors can also impact the effectiveness and overall design of an oven mitt. It is important to find a balance between all these factors to create a functional and efficient oven mitt.