Solving Skin Depth for Copper at 1.0 GHz

In summary, the question asks to calculate the skin depth for copper at 1.0 GHz with given values for conductivity and dielectric constants. The formula used is tan δ = σ / (ω)(ε0)(εr) and the missing step involves understanding the concept of skin depth and solving Maxwell's equations in a conducting material. The final answer is tan δ >>1, d = 2.1um.
purejoker
hi there, I am stuck on this question can some give me a hint on how to solve the question:

the question is:

Calculate the skin depth for copper at 1.0 GHz . σ = 5.8x10^7 S/m, εr=1, μr=1.

the formula i think that i need to use is

tan δ = σ / (ω)(ε0)(εr)

ω = 2nf = 2 x n x 1 x 10^9
ε0 = 8.85 x 10^-12
er = 1
where do i put μr?

im missing a another step but i don't no what, can some give me a hint please?

the answer to the queation is
tan δ >>1, d = 2.1um

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got to understand what skin depth is and you'll get this question. When you solve Maxwell's equations in a conducting material, you get a complex wavenumber (i.e. a complex dielectric constant) and that imaginary part of the wavenumber leads to a decay of the wave in the conductor. Remember from electrostatics that E-fields should be zero inside a conductor? Well, for time-dependent fields in "good conductors" the E-fields damp out pretty darn quickly. Copper is such a conductor. Start with Maxwells equations in vacuum (your dielectric constant and mag. permeability are identically 1).

[tex]\nabla \times \vec{B} = \frac{4 \pi}{c} \vec{J} + \frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{E} \hspace{1cm} \nabla \times \vec{E} = -\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{B}[/tex]

Assume your E,B fields have time dependence of the form
[tex]e^{-i \omega t}[/tex]

And that for the conductor the current density is proportional to the E-field
[tex]\vec{J}=\sigma \vec{E}[/tex]

Take the curl of both equations and combine to get a modified wave equation for E. It looks like
[tex]\nabla^2 \vec{E} + k^2 \vec{E} = 0[/tex]

Where our k is
[tex]k=\frac{w}{c}\sqrt{1+\frac{i4 \pi \sigma}{\omega}}[/tex]

For "good conductors" (like copper) we have [tex]\sigma \gg \omega[/tex] This amounts to killing the displacement current term in the first place. Or here our k becomes

[tex]k = \frac{\omega}{c}\sqrt{i4 \pi \frac{\sigma}{\omega}} = \frac{1}{c}\sqrt{i4 \pi \sigma \omega} = \frac{(1+i)}{c}\sqrt{4 \pi \sigma \omega}[/tex]

Be sure of how your text/course defines the skin depth. Sometimes it's 1/Im(k) sometimes its 1/[2Im(k)] where Im(k) is the imaginary part of k. Be careful here - I've used Gaussian units throughout so just adapt the technique to your units which are probably SI.

Related to Solving Skin Depth for Copper at 1.0 GHz

1. What is skin depth and why is it important to solve for copper at 1.0 GHz?

Skin depth is the measure of how far an electromagnetic wave can penetrate into a conductive material. It is important to solve for copper at 1.0 GHz because this frequency is commonly used in communication systems and understanding the skin depth of copper at this frequency can help with designing and optimizing these systems.

2. How is skin depth calculated for copper at 1.0 GHz?

Skin depth for copper at 1.0 GHz can be calculated using the following formula: δ=√(2/πσfμ), where δ is the skin depth in meters, σ is the conductivity of copper in Siemens per meter, f is the frequency in Hertz, and μ is the permeability of copper in Henrys per meter.

3. What factors can affect the skin depth of copper at 1.0 GHz?

The skin depth of copper at 1.0 GHz can be affected by several factors, including the conductivity of copper, the frequency of the electromagnetic wave, and the temperature of the copper. Higher conductivity, lower frequency, and lower temperature can result in a smaller skin depth for copper.

4. Can the skin depth of copper at 1.0 GHz be adjusted?

The skin depth of copper at 1.0 GHz is primarily dependent on the material properties and the frequency of the electromagnetic wave. However, by changing the temperature or alloying copper with other metals, the skin depth can be adjusted to some extent.

5. How does the skin depth of copper at 1.0 GHz compare to other materials?

Copper has a relatively low skin depth compared to other conductive materials such as silver and gold. At 1.0 GHz, the skin depth of copper is approximately 1.9 micrometers, while silver has a skin depth of 1.4 micrometers and gold has a skin depth of 2.9 micrometers.