Solving Sin4x: How to Expand and Simplify Trigonometric Equations

• Thread starter breen155
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expanding
In summary, when sin2x=0.5, pi/6 is the answer for sin2x and the other angles in the range are pie/12, pie/4 etc.
breen155
Hey, i need help with a problem I'm having I'm not sure about an expansion

Homework Statement

Solve the following equation for -[tex]\pi[/tex]<[tex]\theta[/tex]<[tex]\pi[/tex]
sin4[tex]\theta[/tex] = cos2[tex]\theta[/tex]
I'm not sure about how to expand sin4[tex]\theta[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
I have tried putting sin4[tex]\theta[/tex] as sin(2[tex]\theta[/tex]+2[tex]\theta[/tex]) and expanding to get sin2[tex]\theta[/tex]cos2[tex]\theta[/tex] + cos2[tex]\theta[/tex]sin2[tex]\theta[/tex]. However it just becomes very messy, I was just wondering if i am doing this correctly as the answer i receive is different to the one in my textbook

Physics news on Phys.org
Ever heard of: [tex]\sin 2\phi = 2\sin \phi \cos \phi[/tex] ?

Hia,

I remember having to do this same problem in my first year at uni, but i can't remember the exact method. You have to use something called De Moivre's formula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Moivre's_formula).

Hope that helps,

Peter

yeah, i get
sin4x = 2sin2xcos2x and from then on i do
2[(2sinxcosx)(cos2x-sin2x)]
i then carry on expanding and end up with 4sinxcos3x-4sin3xcosx
im not sure how to carry on from there :confused:

You don't need to keep on expanding. Substituting once gives you a [tex]\cos2\theta[/tex] term on both sides. You can cross those away (under certain conditions).

so is it 2sin2x = 1 ? :)

Yes, correct, but only when you are allowed to cross out the [tex]\cos 2\theta[/tex] term. Any idea when that move is not allowed..?

not too sure is it when they are being added or subtracted?

Be careful with your next move... ;)

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/11/8/633617527281144116-dividebyzero.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:P in the end i get sinxcosx =0.25 but in not sure how to get the answer out of it :P

Stop expanding. The previous equation was as far as you needed to go. You have to know this one by heart: [tex]\sin 2\theta = \frac{1}{2}[/tex].

Put differently, for what value of [tex]\phi[/tex] do we have [tex]\sin\phi=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]?

If not, look it up ;)

if i place that in my formula it doesn't give me the same answer as my textbook though
if sinx = 0.5 then 0.5cosx=1/4 then it gets cosx = .5
this is pie/3 however the answers in my textbook say pie/12 pie/4 etc

for sin2x=0.5 =>2x=pi/6 and the other angles in the range ( find what x equals to)

for cos2x=0 => 2x=pi/2,other angles in the range you want (find x)

combine these answers.

I finally got it, thanks for the help everyone :)

Related to Solving Sin4x: How to Expand and Simplify Trigonometric Equations

1. What is the equation for sin4x?

The equation for sin4x is 4sinxcosx.

2. How do you expand sin4x?

To expand sin4x, you can use the double angle formula for sine, which is sin2x = 2sinxcosx. Therefore, sin4x can be written as 2sin2xcos2x. Then, you can use the double angle formula again to expand sin2x and cos2x.

3. How do you simplify sin4x?

To simplify sin4x, you can use the double angle formula for sine, which is sin2x = 2sinxcosx. Therefore, sin4x can be written as 2sin2xcos2x. Then, you can use the double angle formula again to simplify sin2x and cos2x.

4. Can you solve for x in sin4x?

No, you cannot solve for x in sin4x as it is an identity and not an equation. You can only expand and simplify it using trigonometric identities.

5. How can solving sin4x be applied in real life?

Solving sin4x can be applied in real life in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It can be used to analyze periodic phenomena such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and planetary motion. It is also used in calculating forces, vibrations, and oscillations in structures and machines.