Solving Simultaneous Equations: x⁴-y²-xy=4-√15, x³+y³-3x=5√5

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a system of equations and the attempt to solve it using trigonometric approach. The two given equations suggest the substitution of x=tan p and y=tan q. However, after several attempts, the individual is unable to find a solution and turns to others for help. They also mention that the graphs of the two equations resemble a line and parabolas, leading them to believe that there may only be two intersection points. The conversation ends with the individual thanking Opalg for their insight and mentioning that they will continue to search for the other intersection point.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi MHB,

I hope to gain some insights on how to solve this system of equations because I tried it many times to use trigonometric approach but to no avail...:mad:

Problem:

Solve the system of equations

$x^4-y^2-xy=4-\sqrt{15}$

$x^3+y^3-3x=5\sqrt{5}$

Attempt:

At first glance, $x^3-3x$ suggests the substitution of $x=\tan p$ so that $x^3-3x=\tan^3 p-3\tan p=(3\tan^2 p-1)(\tan 3p)$

and the second given equation can be rewritten as below, if we also let $y=\tan q$,

$x^3-3x=5\sqrt{5}-y^3$

$(3\tan^2 p-1)(\tan 3p)=5\sqrt{5}-\tan^3 q$

$\tan^3 q=5\sqrt{5}-(3\tan^2 p-1)(\tan 3p)$

and the first equation becomes

$x^4-y^2-xy=4-\sqrt{15}$

$\tan^4 p-\tan^2 q-\tan p \tan q=4-\sqrt{15}$

$\tan^2 q+\tan p \tan q+4-\sqrt{15}-\tan^4 p=0$

Even if I solve the equation above for $\tan q$ by the quadratic formula, I can see that this is of a futile attempt...

Could someone please help me to solve this very hard problem for me? Thanks in advance.:eek:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[graph]pqglddsffo[/graph] (Click on the diagram for an enlargement.)

The brown graph shows the first equation and the blue graph shows the second one. As they go off to infinity, the blue graph approximates the line $x+y=0$ and the brown graph approximates the parabolas $y = \pm x^2$. So I doubt whether there can be any solutions apart from the two crossing points in the diagram. The crossing point in the positive quadrant occurs when $x=\sqrt3,\ y=\sqrt5$ (obtained by guesswork!). I do not see how to locate the other crossing point.

Opalg said:
[graph]pqglddsffo[/graph] (Click on the diagram for an enlargement.)

The brown graph shows the first equation and the blue graph shows the second one. As they go off to infinity, the blue graph approximates the line $x+y=0$ and the brown graph approximates the parabolas $y = \pm x^2$. So I doubt whether there can be any solutions apart from the two crossing points in the diagram. The crossing point in the positive quadrant occurs when $x=\sqrt3,\ y=\sqrt5$ (obtained by guesswork!). I do not see how to locate the other crossing point.

Thank you for this wonderful insight, Opalg! I will try to find the other intersection point and of course will add to this thread if I have found it.

Related to Solving Simultaneous Equations: x⁴-y²-xy=4-√15, x³+y³-3x=5√5

1. How do I solve simultaneous equations?

To solve simultaneous equations, you need to find the values of the variables that satisfy both equations. This can be done by using methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. In this specific case, the equations can be solved by using the substitution method.

2. What is the substitution method for solving simultaneous equations?

The substitution method involves solving one of the equations for one of the variables, and then substituting that value into the other equation. This will result in an equation with only one variable, which can then be solved to find its value. This value can then be substituted back into the original equations to find the value of the other variable.

3. How do I solve this specific set of simultaneous equations?

To solve x⁴-y²-xy=4-√15, x³+y³-3x=5√5, we can use the substitution method. First, we can rearrange the second equation to solve for y in terms of x: y=∛(5√5-3x). Then, we can substitute this value of y into the first equation and solve for x. Once we have the value of x, we can substitute it back into the second equation to solve for y.

4. Are there any other methods for solving simultaneous equations?

Yes, there are other methods such as the elimination method and graphing method. The elimination method involves adding or subtracting the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the other. The graphing method involves graphing both equations and finding the point of intersection, which represents the solution to the simultaneous equations.

5. How can I check if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by substituting the values of x and y into the original equations and seeing if they satisfy both equations. You can also graph the equations to see if the point of intersection matches the values you have found. Additionally, you can use a calculator to solve the equations and compare the results.