Solving Shor's Algorithm to Factor 15: Results & Analysis

• Thread starter michael879
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithm
In summary, the speaker is asking for help understanding the results of using Shor's algorithm to factor 15. They manually used the algorithm and found that the probability of observing |x>|f(x)> is 1/4 the probability of |x>. They also noticed that there is a 1/4 probability of getting 0 as the answer, which is high for an obviously wrong answer. They are questioning why this is happening and if it is an issue with the algorithm itself.
michael879
hey I have a quick question about this. I was trying to understand the QFT operator, so I manually used shor's algorithm to factor 15. I used 2 for the random number. My results seem a bit weird tho. below are the probabilities of observing each number (the correct answer is 4, since the period of 2^x mod 15 is 4). Also, I found that the probability of observing |x>|f(x)> is 1/4 the probability of |x>.

P(0) = 1/4
P(1) = 0
P(2) = 1/4
P(3) = 0
P(4) = 1/4
P(5) = 0
P(6) = 0
P(7) = 0
P(8) = 1/4
P(9) = 0
P(10) = 0
P(11) = 0
P(12) = 0
P(13) = 0
P(14) = 0
P(14) = 0

I find these results odd for two reasons.

1) there is a 1/4 probability of getting 0. I also did this for N = 6 and a = 5 and similarly found that P(0) = 1/2, which is very high for an obviously wrong answer. Not only that but in the N=6 example your more likely to find 0 as the answer than any of the other answers.

2) The only wrong answer that could possibly show up is 0. 2, 4, and 8 are all correct answers (since 8 is the period also, and searching multiples of the returned result are part of the algorithm so that 2 would work since 2*2=4).

Physics news on Phys.org
But why would the probability of 0 be 1/4? Shouldn't it be 0 since its wrong?It seems like this is an issue with the algorithm itself, but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me understand why this might be happening?

I find these results interesting and worth further investigation. It is important to understand the QFT operator and how it affects the outcome of Shor's algorithm. It is possible that there may be a flaw in your manual implementation of the algorithm or in the way you are calculating the probabilities. It would be helpful to compare your results with those obtained through a computer simulation or by using a different method to calculate the probabilities. Additionally, exploring different values of N and a could provide more insight into the behavior of the algorithm and the QFT operator. Overall, further analysis and experimentation would be necessary to fully understand these results and their implications for Shor's algorithm.

Related to Solving Shor's Algorithm to Factor 15: Results & Analysis

1. What is Shor's algorithm?

Shor's algorithm is a quantum algorithm developed by mathematician Peter Shor in 1994. It is used to efficiently factor large numbers into their prime factors, which is considered a difficult problem for classical computers.

2. How does Shor's algorithm work?

Shor's algorithm works by using quantum computers to find the period of a function that is related to the number being factored. This period is then used to calculate the prime factors of the number through a series of mathematical operations.

3. Why is factoring large numbers important?

Factoring large numbers is important in cryptography, as it is the basis for many encryption methods. The ability to efficiently factor large numbers using Shor's algorithm could potentially break modern encryption schemes, making it a significant development in the field of quantum computing.

4. What is the significance of factoring 15 using Shor's algorithm?

Factor 15 is a small number, but it is used as a proof-of-concept for Shor's algorithm. Successfully factoring 15 using the algorithm shows that it works and can be scaled up to factor larger numbers.

5. What are the possible applications of Shor's algorithm?

Aside from breaking encryption, Shor's algorithm has potential applications in other areas such as quantum chemistry, optimization problems, and machine learning. It also demonstrates the power and capabilities of quantum computing in solving complex problems that are difficult for classical computers.