Solving Series Expansion of Current in Resistor/Inductor Circuit

In summary, the first three terms of the expansion of I(t) = 2.7(1-e-0.1) are: -0.27t, 0.0135t^2, and 0.00045t^3.
CaptGoodvibes

Homework Statement

A resistor and inductor are connected in series to a battery. The current in the circuit ( in A ) is given by I = 2.7(1-e-0.1), where t is the time since the circuit was closed. By using the series for ex, find the first three terms of the expansion of this function.

Homework Equations

ex = 1 + x + x2/2! + ... + xn/n!

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I substitute -0.1 for x in this expansion like so: ex = 1 - 0.1 - 0.12/2! ? And then place this expansion into the original function 2.7(1-(1 - 0.1 - 0.12/2!)) ?? And finally, multiply the 2.7 back in?

This isn't coming out to one of my answer choices. Where have I gone wrong in my setup?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]e^x = 1 +(-0.1) + \frac{(-0.1)^2}{2}[/tex] Substituting you get [tex]2.7 (1- \left( 1 +(-0.1) + \frac{(-0.1)^2}{2} \right))[/tex] Watch your minus signs.

CaptGoodvibes said:

Homework Statement

A resistor and inductor are connected in series to a battery. The current in the circuit ( in A ) is given by I = 2.7(1-e-0.1), where t is the time since the circuit was closed. By using the series for ex, find the first three terms of the expansion of this function.

Do you mean

[tex]I(t) = 2.7(1 - e^{-0.1t})[/tex]? (There's no "t" in your formula.)

Would I substitute -0.1 for x in this expansion like so: ex = 1 - 0.1 - 0.12/2! ? And then place this expansion into the original function 2.7(1-(1 - 0.1 - 0.12/2!)) ??

This isn't coming out to one of my answer choices. Where have I gone wrong in my setup?

Thanks!

I see a couple of problems. First,

[tex](-0.1)^2 = 0.1^2[/tex], not [tex]-0.1^2[/tex]

Second, notice that the "1" terms cancel, leaving you with only two terms. The problem asks for three, so you probably need to include the [tex]0.1^3[/tex] term as well.

It kills me when I try to get clever and my signs get skewed.

So, now I've added a couple steps to insure I'm sign-correct and also added the third term to account for the 1's canceling.

Here is the setup:
[tex]I = 2.7 (1- \left( 1 +(-0.1) + \frac{(-0.1)^2}{2} + \frac{(-0.1)^3}{6}\right))[/tex]

Clear the 1's and multiply by 2.7...

[tex] 2.7(-0.1) + \frac{2.7(-0.1)^2}{2} + \frac{2.7(-0.1)^3}{6}[/tex]

Pull out the fractions to please the prof:

[tex] 2.7(-0.1) + \frac{1}{2}2.7(-0.1)^2+ \frac{1}{6}2.7(-0.1)^3[/tex]

The numbers come out almost right. And the missing 't' from the problem shows in the answer key so I've arbitrarily added the [tex]t,t^2,[/tex] and [tex]t^3[/tex]

The answer I got is:
[tex]I(t) = -0.27t + 0.0135t^2 - 0.00045t^3[/tex] but to match the answer, I'd have to multiply by -1 to get the signs right. I'm close but there must be another tidbit I've overlooked. Or there's a typo in the answer key...

I wonder if this is like a falling object where the negative sign is removed(or multiplied by -1) in relation to time.

You only applied the - sign to the first term inside the inner parentheses. It should have been applied to all of them! (Distributive law.)

jbunniii said:
You only applied the - sign to the first term inside the inner parentheses. It should have been applied to all of them! (Distributive law.)

Ahhhhh... it's not 1-(...) it's 1-1(...) Dangit! I'm so caught up in the new stuff I forgot the details.

Thanks so much!

Related to Solving Series Expansion of Current in Resistor/Inductor Circuit

1. What is a series expansion of current in a resistor/inductor circuit?

A series expansion of current in a resistor/inductor circuit is a mathematical technique used to express the current flowing through a circuit as a sum of individual terms, each representing a different component or characteristic of the circuit. It is a useful tool for analyzing complex circuits and determining the behavior of the current in different situations.

2. Why is it important to solve the series expansion of current in a resistor/inductor circuit?

Solving the series expansion of current in a resistor/inductor circuit is important because it allows us to understand how the current behaves in different parts of the circuit. By breaking the current down into individual terms, we can identify the contribution of each component and better understand the overall behavior of the circuit.

3. How is the series expansion of current in a resistor/inductor circuit calculated?

The series expansion of current in a resistor/inductor circuit is calculated using a combination of algebraic manipulation and mathematical formulas, such as Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws. It involves breaking the circuit down into individual components, determining the current through each component, and then combining them to get the total current.

4. What factors affect the series expansion of current in a resistor/inductor circuit?

The series expansion of current in a resistor/inductor circuit can be affected by several factors, including the resistance and inductance values of the components, the applied voltage, the frequency of the current, and the arrangement of the components in the circuit. Changes in any of these factors can alter the overall behavior of the current in the circuit.

5. How can the series expansion of current in a resistor/inductor circuit be applied in real-world situations?

The series expansion of current in a resistor/inductor circuit has many practical applications, such as in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, power distribution systems, and communication systems. It can also be used to troubleshoot and diagnose issues in circuits, and to optimize the performance of circuits by adjusting the values of components.