Solving Second Pole Residue ∫(dθ)/(a+bcosθ)^2

In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral ∫(dθ)/(a+bcosθ)^2 using Cauchy's Residue theorem. There is a singularity at (-a/b)+√(a/b)^2-1 which is a double pole. The process of finding the residue is discussed, and the result given by Mathematica (which agrees with the answer in the book) is mentioned. The conversation also includes tips and suggestions for arriving at the correct result.
davavsh
∫(dθ)/(a+bcosθ)^2

Homework Equations

I'm trying to find the above integral (from 0-2pi) using Cauchy's Residue theorem. After closing the contour and re-writing the integrant, I know that I have singularity at (-a/b)+(√(a/b)^2-1)- (double pole or is it??).

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried both single pole and double pole residues using the limit approach but the calculation gets very cumbersome and i don't arrive at the write answer [its (2a*pi)/(a^2-b^2)^(3/2)]. According the Mathematica Res[(-a/b)+(√(a/b)^2-1)]=b*(b^2-a^2)*((a/b)^2-1)^(1/2).

Any tips/suggestions would be appreciate on how to arrive at the result given by Mathematica (which agrees with answer given in the book).

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what you are calculating with Mathematica makes no sense. You should be calculating the residue of [tex] \frac{z}{(az + b(z^2+1)/2)^2}. [/tex]

Your work seems correct as far as you write it... So the integrand has a double pole at [itex] z = -\frac{a}{b} + \sqrt{\frac{a^2}{b^2}-1} [/itex] assuming a/b>0.

You can write the integral as [tex] I = \frac{4i}{b^2} \int \frac{z dz }{ (z^2 + \frac{2a}{b} z + 1)^2} = \frac{4i}{b^2} \int \frac{z dz }{(z-c_{+})^2(z-c_{-})^2} [/tex] where [itex] z_{\pm} = -\frac{a}{b} \pm \sqrt{\frac{a^2}{b^2} -1} [/itex]. Finding the residue from here should not be too difficult.

Related to Solving Second Pole Residue ∫(dθ)/(a+bcosθ)^2

1. How do I solve for the second pole residue in the integral ∫(dθ)/(a+bcosθ)^2?

To solve for the second pole residue, you will need to use the method of partial fractions. First, rewrite the denominator as (a+bcosθ)^2 = (a^2 + 2abcosθ + b^2cos^2θ). Then, use the substitution u = cosθ to rewrite the integral as ∫(du)/(a^2 + 2abu + b^2u^2). From here, you can use the quadratic formula to find the roots of the denominator, which will give you the residues at each pole. Finally, use the residue theorem to calculate the second pole residue.

2. What is the significance of finding the second pole residue in this integral?

The second pole residue is important because it allows us to calculate the value of a complex integral. It is a key step in using the residue theorem to evaluate integrals that are difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods.

3. Can the second pole residue be negative?

Yes, the second pole residue can be negative. The residue at a pole is determined by the coefficient of the term with the pole in the partial fraction decomposition, so it can take on any real value.

4. Can the second pole residue be zero?

Yes, the second pole residue can be zero. This occurs when the pole is canceled out by a corresponding zero in the numerator of the integrand. In this case, the integral can be evaluated using other methods.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when solving for the second pole residue?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving for the second pole residue. One is when the pole has a multiplicity greater than one, in which case the residue will be a product of the pole's multiplicity and the coefficient of the corresponding term in the partial fraction decomposition. Another special case is when the pole is on the contour of integration, in which case the residue is multiplied by a factor of 1/2πi.