Solving Rotational Speed Homework with Radius of 40cm

In summary, the problem involves a tire with a radius of 40cm spinning at a rate of 2500 rev/min. Using the formula w=v/r, we can find the rotational speed to be 62.5 rad/sec. However, it is important to note that rev/min is a measure of rotational speed, not rev/sec. The formula provided would find the linear velocity at the outer edge of the tire.
zombie4000

Homework Statement

Tire with a radius of 40cm spinning at 2500 rev/min. What is the rotational speed?

Homework Equations

w=v/r
w=2500revmin/40cm
w=62.5 rad/sec

Does that sound right? I am confused

Physics news on Phys.org
Er... rev/min is a rotational speed.

Im not too sure what you are trying to work out.

Okay. Thats the exact problem I have on my sheet. I asked a few others and they said that the rev/sec is the rotational speed.

Look at your formula, and look at the units involved.

That will find a linear velocity at the outer edge of that ball, not rotational.

Thanks for the help!

Related to Solving Rotational Speed Homework with Radius of 40cm

1. What is rotational speed?

Rotational speed is the measure of how fast an object rotates around its axis. It is usually measured in rotations per minute (RPM) or radians per second (rad/s).

2. How do you calculate rotational speed?

To calculate rotational speed, you need to know the angular velocity and the radius of the object. The formula for rotational speed is rotational speed = (angular velocity) x (radius).

3. How do I solve rotational speed homework with a radius of 40cm?

To solve the rotational speed homework problem, plug in the given values (angular velocity and radius of 40cm) into the formula for rotational speed: rotational speed = (angular velocity) x (40cm). Then, solve for the rotational speed in the appropriate units.

4. What is the unit for rotational speed?

The unit for rotational speed can vary depending on the given values and the desired unit of measurement. However, common units for rotational speed include revolutions per minute (RPM) and radians per second (rad/s).

5. How does rotational speed affect an object?

Rotational speed affects an object by determining how fast it rotates around its axis. A higher rotational speed means the object is rotating at a faster rate, while a lower rotational speed means it is rotating at a slower rate. This can affect the object's stability, stability, and other physical properties.