Solving Resultant Force: F1+F2+F3 in Standard Polar Form

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving resultant forces and the steps to solve it analytically and graphically. The individual asking for help is unsure of how to solve the problem and is seeking guidance. The solution involves breaking down one of the forces into its x and y components, finding the sum of the horizontal and vertical components, and then putting the answer into polar form. The graphing method is also discussed as a way to visually represent the problem.
keith421
Missed a day of school due to a car accident in the blizzard and he went over resultant forces. Have this problem to due and I'm not quite sure on what I would do to solve this.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2087/blawu.jpg

add the three forces f1 f2 and f3 both analtically and graphically to find the resultant force r = f1 + f2 + f3 give the net force r in standard polar form.

edit ; that is 45deg. by the way

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi keith421, welcome to PF.
Resolve f2 into vertical and horizontal components.T
Then find ΣFx and ΣFy. Then find the resultant.

Try breaking f2 into its x and y components and then take ΣFx and ΣFy.

Then put your answer into polar form by finding the magnitude of the resultant force and its direction.

Edit: Too late...

ok so i got the x and y component for F2, both 56.56.
i then subtracted F1 10n from F2x 56.56 which i got 46.56
then subtracted F3 30n from F2y 56.56 which got me 26.56

then square root of 46.56²+26.56² = squartroot of c. which got me 53.6n.

then did sin(26.56/53.6)= .4995. then sin-1(4.995)= 29.70.

so 53.6 N and 29.70 NE. is this correct?

what do i do for graphing?

Yes.

Thanks for the help, goodnight!

Related to Solving Resultant Force: F1+F2+F3 in Standard Polar Form

What is meant by "resultant force"?

Resultant force refers to the net force acting on an object, taking into account all the individual forces acting on it. It is the overall force that has the same effect as all the individual forces combined.

How do you calculate the resultant force in standard polar form?

To calculate the resultant force in standard polar form, you need to first determine the magnitude and direction of each individual force. Then, use the formula F = √(F1² + F2² + F3² + 2F1F2cosθ1θ2) to find the magnitude of the resultant force and the formula θ = tan^-1[(F2sinθ2 + F1sinθ1) / (F2cosθ2 + F1cosθ1)] to find the direction.

What are the units of measurement for resultant force?

The units of measurement for resultant force are typically in Newtons (N) in the metric system or pounds (lbs) in the imperial system.

What does the direction of the resultant force indicate?

The direction of the resultant force indicates the angle at which the net force is acting on the object. It can be described using degrees or radians, depending on the context.

Why is it important to calculate the resultant force?

Calculating the resultant force is important because it helps determine the overall effect of all the individual forces on an object. This information is vital in understanding the motion and behavior of the object, and can aid in making predictions or solving problems related to it.