Solving Radian Measure Problems for Pavdarin

• Thread starter pavadrin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary, Pavdarin was struggling with a problem involving radian measure. He was unable to solve it and needed help. He drew a diagram to help him and found the angle by using basic trigonometry.
pavadrin
Hi
I am having difficulties with another problem involving radian measure.
The problem is as follows:
A wheel of radius 60cm is rotated until a point on the wheel was initially at the lowest point is 80 cm higher than the initial point.
Find a) the angle in radians through which the wheel is rotated
b) the length of the circular path traveled by the point
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My working for the first part of the problem (a) is as follows:
I have drawn the following diagram to assist with my calculations:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6922
I noe that in a circle there are 2pi radians, therefore in a right angle there are pi/2 radians
I know that at pi/2 radians the point initally at the bottom of the wheel is now 60cm higher, however this is 20cm short of the answer i need. To try and solve this i drew a traingle, however I only know one value of it, so I am unaware on how to find another value.
This piont is where i am lost
Once i how found this value, I can easily contiue the second part of the problem by using this formula: arc length = rӨ where r is the radius of the circle and Ө is the angle measured in radians.

Is my approach to this problem correct? If so, or of incorrect could i please be given a hint on how to continue or the correct method of approach.
Thank you in advance
Pavdarin

Physics news on Phys.org
pavadrin said:
Hi
I am having difficulties with another problem involving radian measure.
The problem is as follows:
A wheel of radius 60cm is rotated until a point on the wheel was initially at the lowest point is 80 cm higher than the initial point.
Find a) the angle in radians through which the wheel is rotated
b) the length of the circular path traveled by the point
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My working for the first part of the problem (a) is as follows:
I have drawn the following diagram to assist with my calculations:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6922
I noe that in a circle there are 2pi radians, therefore in a right angle there are pi/2 radians
I know that at pi/2 radians the point initally at the bottom of the wheel is now 60cm higher, however this is 20cm short of the answer i need. To try and solve this i drew a traingle, however I only know one value of it, so I am unaware on how to find another value.
This piont is where i am lost
Once i how found this value, I can easily contiue the second part of the problem by using this formula: arc length = rӨ where r is the radius of the circle and Ө is the angle measured in radians.

Is my approach to this problem correct? If so, or of incorrect could i please be given a hint on how to continue or the correct method of approach.
Thank you in advance
Pavdarin

I can't see the attachment, but from what you've written you're doing well so far.

In visualising that triangle with one side (height) of 20 cm, keep in mind two things :

a) it is a right triangle (one angle is 90 degrees)

b) the hypotenuse (longest side) is known (this is the radius of the circle).

c) the 20 cm side is the side OPPOSITE the angle you need to find.

I've attached a diagram to help you.

Now, can you use basic trigonometry to find that pesky angle? :smile: Don't forget to add pi/2 to what I've labelled to get the final answer.

Attachments

• circle.JPG
    circle.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
thanks Curious3141 for taking the time to reply, you have explain it very well
Pavdarin

Related to Solving Radian Measure Problems for Pavdarin

1. What is radian measure and why is it important in problem solving?

Radian measure is a unit of measurement used in mathematics to measure angles. It is important in problem solving because it allows for more accurate and precise calculations compared to using degrees. Radian measure is also the standard unit used in calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts.

2. How do I convert degrees to radians?

To convert degrees to radians, you can use the formula: radians = (degrees * pi) / 180. This formula takes into account the fact that there are 180 degrees in a half circle and pi radians in a half circle. Simply plug in the given degree measure and solve for radians.

3. Can you explain the process of solving a radian measure problem?

To solve a radian measure problem, you first need to identify the given information and what you are trying to solve for. Then, use the appropriate formula or trigonometric function to solve for the unknown value. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct conversion factors if needed. Finally, double check your solution and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for solving radian measure problems?

One helpful tip is to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and identify any given values or unknowns. Additionally, it can be helpful to remember that a full circle has a measure of 2π radians and a half circle has a measure of π radians. This can be used to easily convert between radians and degrees.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving radian measure problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert between degrees and radians or using the wrong conversion factor. It is also important to use the correct formula or function for the given problem, as well as carefully checking calculations for errors. Another mistake to avoid is forgetting to include units in the final answer or misinterpreting the meaning of the given information.