Solving Power Series for 9/25: Find x When y = 9/25

In summary, the conversation discusses using the power series of y=\frac{1}{1+x^2} to find sums equal to 9/25. The interval of convergence was found to be x<-1 and x>1. However, when solving for 9/25, x was found to be 4/3 which does not fall within the interval of convergence. To find an expansion that does converge, a different point of expansion will be needed, such as x=\infty.
Anewk
I was asked to find sums equal to 9/25 by using the power series of \(\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{1+x^2}\). First thing I did was to find the power series representation of the function:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty }(-x^2)^n\)

Next I figured out the interval of convergence:

\(\displaystyle \left \| -x^2 \right \|< 1\)

This meant that \(\displaystyle x\) had to be less than 1 and more than -1 for the series to converge.

Now this is where I became a little confused... when I solved the function for 9/25, I found that \(\displaystyle x\) has to be 4/3 to get \(\displaystyle y\) to equal 9/25. But if I let the power series equal to this value then x>1 and the series would not converge. What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anewk said:
I was asked to find sums equal to 9/25 by using the power series of \(\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{1+x^2}\). First thing I did was to find the power series representation of the function:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty }(-x^2)^n\)

Next I figured out the interval of convergence:

\(\displaystyle \left \| -x^2 \right \|< 1\)

This meant that \(\displaystyle x\) had to be less than 1 and more than -1 for the series to converge.

Now this is where I became a little confused... when I solved the function for 9/25, I found that \(\displaystyle x\) has to be 4/3 to get \(\displaystyle y\) to equal 9/25. But if I let the power series equal to this value then x>1 and the series would not converge. What do I do?

Hi Anewk! :)

Your result indeed means that the expansion around $x=0$ does not converge.

To find an expansion that does converge, you'll need a different point to expand from.
How about expanding the following instead (at $x=\infty$)?
$$y=\frac{1}{1+x^2} = \frac{x^{-2}}{x^{-2} + 1} = 1 - \frac{1}{1 + x^{-2}}$$

Related to Solving Power Series for 9/25: Find x When y = 9/25

1. How do I solve a power series for x when y = 9/25?

To solve a power series for x when y = 9/25, you will need to use the formula for a geometric series, which is a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ... = a(1-r^n)/(1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. In this case, a = 9/25 and r = x. Set this equation equal to 9/25 and solve for x.

2. Can I use algebra to solve for x in this power series problem?

Yes, you can use algebra to solve for x in this power series problem. You will need to manipulate the equation using algebraic properties and solve for x using the appropriate formula.

3. What is the significance of finding x when y = 9/25 in a power series?

Finding x when y = 9/25 in a power series allows you to determine the value of x that satisfies the given series. This can be useful in many scientific and mathematical applications, such as finding the value of a variable in an equation or determining the convergence of a series.

4. Are there any special techniques or tips for solving power series?

Yes, there are a few techniques and tips that can be helpful when solving power series. These include using algebra to manipulate equations, using known formulas and identities, and breaking down the series into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. How can I check my work when solving a power series for x when y = 9/25?

To check your work when solving a power series for x when y = 9/25, you can plug in the value of x that you found into the original equation and see if it satisfies the series. You can also use a calculator or graphing software to graph the series and see if the value of x makes sense in the context of the graph.