Solving Polynomial Question with Gauss Method

• Thread starter iPanos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation revolves around a question regarding a combined matrix and polynomial problem. The first sub-question is to calculate the characteristic polynomial of a given matrix A, while the second sub-question is to find an eigenvalue using Gauss method. The third sub-question requires finding a non-zero eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue found in the second sub-question. Though the problem was solved easily, the requested method was not used for the second sub-question, but rather the trinomial formulas were utilized. The individual is seeking guidance on how Gauss method can be applied in this exercise. The characteristic polynomial and its three real roots were also provided for reference.
iPanos
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and I have just found you after some long and unsuccessful research on the following question:

Homework Statement

The question is a combined matrix and polynomial question. First I am given the following matrix A:

2 1 1
5 4 -3
2 1 3

-1st sub-question is to calculate the characteristic polynomial of A, P(x).
-2nd sub-question is to find one eigenvalue for A, using Gauss method.
-3rd sub-question is to find a non-zero eigenvector for A, corresponding to the eigenvalue found in the second sub-question.

2. The attempt at a solution

I have solved the problem easily but for the second sub-question I did not use the requested method (Gauss). I found the roots of P(x) via the trinomial formulas and proceeded to sub-question 3.

The reason I did this is because I have no knowledge of some Gauss method for factoring polynomials, neither can I find it in google. This particular matrix has no integer roots, so it was a little complicated to just find one root by trying numbers that divide the constant.

So, my question is, how can Gauss get involved in this exercise?

To save you some time the characteristic polynomial is:
P(x)=-x^3+9x^2-22x+6
and its 3 real roots are:

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
Not directly in response to your question, but Maple gives only one real root, your .3109.. one. Your 4.3445... ones are just the real part of the other complex conjugate pair.

LCKurtz said:
Not directly in response to your question, but Maple gives only one real root, your .3109.. one. Your 4.3445... ones are just the real part of the other complex conjugate pair.

Thanks for this, I noticed a little later...

Still working on this problem...

Related to Solving Polynomial Question with Gauss Method

1. What is the Gauss method for solving polynomial equations?

The Gauss method, also known as the Gaussian elimination method, is a mathematical algorithm used to solve systems of linear equations. It involves transforming the equations into a triangular form, making it easier to solve for the unknown variables.

2. How do you use the Gauss method to solve polynomial equations?

To use the Gauss method, you must first write the equations in standard form with all variables on one side and the constants on the other. Then, create a matrix by writing the coefficients of the variables in each equation in a row. Perform row operations, such as multiplying or adding rows, to transform the matrix into a triangular form. Finally, solve for the variables using back substitution.

3. What types of polynomial equations can be solved using the Gauss method?

The Gauss method can be used to solve systems of linear equations, which includes polynomial equations with a degree of 1 (linear) or 2 (quadratic). It can also be used for higher degree polynomials as long as they can be written in a linear form.

4. What are the advantages of using the Gauss method to solve polynomial equations?

The Gauss method is a systematic and efficient way to solve systems of linear equations. It helps to reduce the number of steps needed to solve the equations and can also be used to solve larger systems of equations. Additionally, the method is easy to understand and can be easily implemented on a computer.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Gauss method for solving polynomial equations?

The main limitation of the Gauss method is that it can only be used for systems of linear equations. It cannot be used for non-linear or transcendental equations. Additionally, the method may be more time-consuming for larger systems of equations as the number of row operations increases.