Solving Physics Problems: Forces and Acceleration

In summary: Then you write Newton's 2nd law in x and y directions.In summary, the conversation discusses three physics problems and the need for showing work and etiquette when seeking help. The first problem involves finding the maximum acceleration of a plane without a cup sliding on a table, using the coefficient of static friction and normal force. The second problem involves finding the force needed to pull a skier at a constant velocity, taking into account resistive forces and acceleration. The third problem involves finding the minimum pressing force needed to keep a book from falling, considering the static friction between the book and hands. The conversation also mentions the importance of drawing free-body diagrams and using Newton's 2nd law when solving physics problems.
1moretry
i'm trying to finish up my online homework before the due date tonite at midnite. i have the rest perfect, just these three got me stumped.

7. [CJ6 4.P.038.] A cup of coffee is sitting on a table in an airplane that is flying at a constant altitude and a constant velocity. The coefficient of static friction between the cup and the table is 0.20. Suddenly, the plane accelerates, its altitude remaining constant. What is the maximum acceleration that the plane can have without the cup sliding backward on the table?

11. [CJ6 4.P.088.] A 75 kg water skier is being pulled by a horizontal force of 525 N and has an acceleration of 2.5 m/s2. Assuming that the total resistive force exerted on the skier by the water and the wind is constant, what force is needed to pull the skier at a constant velocity?

12. [CJ6 4.P.089.] A student presses a book between his hands, as the drawing indicates. The forces that he exerts on the front and back covers of the book are perpendicular to the book and are horizontal. The book weighs 29 N. The coefficient of static friction between his hands and the book is 0.31. To keep the book from falling, what is the magnitude of the minimum pressing force that each hand must exert?

Physics news on Phys.org
General Ettiquette

It's a good idea to post questions seperately. It's also generally a good idea to show some work. Otherwise people will not help you because they're not interested in doing your homework for you, and it doesn't look like you're trying.

That said, what do you know about static friction?

Can you list the forces in each situation, or write equations for them?

whoops, my bad. i'll keep that in mind next time. thanks for not blowing up on me. this is what i got so far.

7. i really don't know where to go with this one. all i got is...

static frictional force = (coefficient of static friction) x (normal force)

fs = (.20)(Fn)

i'm trying to find the acceleration, so i'd have to use F=ma somewhere, but i don't have a mass, and the only acceleration i know is gravity.

11. the skier is 75kg, so the force of weight would be 735N down, and so the normal force would be 735N up, since there are no other up/down forces and that he's being pulled horizontally.

the question is what force is needed to pull the skier at a constant velocity, so that would mean zero acceleration, right? or no? i don't see where i can plug 0 into an equation like F=ma.

12. i understand that it is the static friction that is keeping the book from falling between the hands. so that would mean that the force of static friction is equal to the force of the weight of the book.

static frictional force = (coefficient of static friction) x (normal force).

fs = (.31)(29N) = 8.99

what can i do with this to find out the horizontal forces? they should be equal in this case, too, right?

Last edited:
7. What is the normal force equal to ?

11. You are given the force that the skier is being pulled with (525N). His mass is 75 kg. If this were the only horizontal force on the skier, his acceleration would be a = F/m = 525/75 = 7 m/s^2. But his real acceleration is less than this. Why ?

12. The normal force is not the weight of the book. The normal force is the force between the surfaces that are touching each other, ie : the force between the hand and the book cover.

For all these problems, the first thing to do is draw a free-body (force) diagram. Surely your text shows you how to do this.

Related to Solving Physics Problems: Forces and Acceleration

What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight refers to the force exerted by gravity on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can change depending on the strength of gravity, while mass remains constant.

How do I calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on an object. If the net force is zero, the object will not accelerate. If the net force is greater than zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to mass and acceleration. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it, and the greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration will be.

How do I use Newton's Second Law to solve problems?

To use Newton's Second Law, you need to identify all the forces acting on an object, determine the net force, and then use the equation F = ma to calculate the acceleration. Once you have the acceleration, you can use kinematic equations to solve for other variables.

What is the difference between instantaneous and average acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration refers to the acceleration of an object at a specific moment in time, while average acceleration refers to the overall change in velocity over a period of time. Instantaneous acceleration can vary throughout the motion, while average acceleration is constant over the entire motion.