Solving Physics Lab Report Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to calculating focal length for film projection and a telescope. There is uncertainty about the correct approach for both questions and the conversation ends with an agreement to revisit the second question at a later time.
SpatialVacancy
Hello,

I have just finished what seems like an infinite amount of questions for this lab report. 2 of them I am just not sure how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated.

Question 1:
In a film projection apparatus, it is desired to produce pictures 12 ft wide on a screen 50 ft from the lens. The size of the picture on the film is 1 in. wide. What must be the focal length of the projection lens used?

Question 2:
The magnifying power of an astronomical telescope 24 in. long is equal to 15. Determine the focal length of the objective lens and that of the eyepiece. Assume the telescope is focused on a distant object.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Because 1/u + 1/v = 1/f, from what I understand u = 50ft and v = 1 inch (Could be wrong..)

2) Guessing here, but Power of lens = 1/focal length, thus 15 = 1/f, 15f = 1, f = 1/15

Im not sure that is right. How does it take into consideration the other parameters of the problem?

That's exactly where my uncertainty comes from..
I'll have to get back to you on this one.

Related to Solving Physics Lab Report Questions

What is the purpose of a physics lab report?

The purpose of a physics lab report is to document and communicate the results of a scientific experiment. It should include a detailed description of the experiment, the data collected, and the analysis of the data to support any conclusions drawn.

What should be included in a physics lab report?

A physics lab report should include a title, introduction, materials and methods, results, discussion, and conclusion. It should also have any relevant calculations, graphs, and tables to support the findings.

How should data be presented in a physics lab report?

Data in a physics lab report should be presented in an organized and clear manner. This can include tables, graphs, and calculations. All data should be labeled and explained in the text of the report.

What is the importance of including a discussion section in a physics lab report?

The discussion section is important because it allows for the interpretation and analysis of the data collected. It also provides an opportunity to compare the results to the expected outcomes and to discuss any potential sources of error.

How should a physics lab report be structured?

A physics lab report should have a clear and logical structure. This can include an introduction that provides background information and a hypothesis, a materials and methods section, a results section, a discussion section, and a conclusion that summarizes the findings and their significance.