Solving Physics Lab Challenge: Aim the Gun for the Cup

In summary, the conversation revolved around a physics lab where the goal was to launch a ball into a cup using a gun. The initial velocity and angle of the gun were important factors in achieving this goal. The speaker had calculated the initial velocity and was now trying to determine the relationship between the angle of the gun and the distance the ball would travel. They also considered using a graph to find the most accurate angle, but were unsure if this was the best approach. They also questioned if the cup and gun would be at the same height.
mohlam12
he everyone again!
today, i just got a lab for physics. I have two days to really examine that gun. the teacher will give me an angle that i should aim the gun, and a cup. I should know the distance between the gun and the cup so that when i launch the ball, it will go inside the cup...
first of all, i looked for "new" gravity, since there is air friction when the ball is launched, and i found that is 9.7m/ss , then I looked for the Initial velocity, i launched the ball vertically and i counted the time that took the ball to go upwards til it stops, then i counted the distance fron where it was lunched and where it stoped...after all, i found that the initial velocity is 6.69 m/s
Now, i am confised, first of all, can anyone tell me how is the angle of the gun related to the distance between where the gun is and where the ball landed after it was launched?
i tried to look for the time that it takes vertically for the ball when it is launched, i think i found .69sec that means that in .69 sec, the ball will go like v=d/t, (should i use the initial velocity for v?) if so, i found d=4.62m...
where do i have to use the angle...
also, i was very confused, so i decided to the a graph (the teacher said he is going to give me an angle to aim the gun between 30 and 60 degrees) so i launched the ball at 30,35,40,45,50,55,60 degrees, and i counted the distance the ball traveled, but i don t think that s a great idea since i ll have to launch the ball so it will go into the cup which is like 6cm of diameter, and to do that i have to be more accurate...
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the angle to split up the initial velocity into components. I am not quite sure what you did to come up with the distance that you did.

The y component of the velocity experiences a constant acceleration. This allows you to find the time the ball is in the air. Then, using the x component and the time you can determine the distance it will travel.

Will the cup be at the same height as the gun?

Hope this helps.

Erik

Hi there,

It sounds like you're on the right track with your initial calculations for finding the initial velocity and the time it takes for the ball to reach its peak height. To answer your question about the angle of the gun, it is related to the distance between the gun and the ball's landing position because the angle will determine the trajectory of the ball. The angle of the gun will affect the horizontal distance the ball travels, which is what you need to consider when trying to land the ball in the cup.

Using your calculated initial velocity and the time it takes for the ball to reach its peak height, you can calculate the horizontal distance the ball will travel using the formula d = v*t. This will give you the distance the ball will travel before reaching its peak height. However, you also need to consider the distance the ball will travel after reaching its peak height. This can be calculated using the formula d = 1/2 * a * t^2, where a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and t is the time the ball is in the air. Adding these two distances together will give you the total horizontal distance the ball will travel.

As for using the angle, you can use it to determine the initial velocity in the x-direction (horizontal) and the y-direction (vertical). This can be done using trigonometric functions, specifically cosine for the x-direction and sine for the y-direction. Once you have the initial velocities in both directions, you can use them to calculate the horizontal and vertical distances as mentioned earlier.

It's great that you're using a graph to visualize the different angles, but as you mentioned, it may not be the most accurate method. You can continue to use the graph to get a general idea of how the angle affects the distance, but it would be best to use your calculated values for the most accurate results.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your lab.

Related to Solving Physics Lab Challenge: Aim the Gun for the Cup

1. How do I aim the gun for the cup?

To aim the gun for the cup, you will need to adjust the angle of the gun and the velocity of the projectile. Use the provided measurements and equations to calculate the correct angle and velocity for the gun to hit the cup.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of the projectile?

The trajectory of the projectile is affected by the angle at which it is launched, the initial velocity of the projectile, and the force of gravity. Other factors that may affect the trajectory include wind resistance and air density.

3. Can I use any type of projectile for this lab?

It is recommended to use a small, light projectile such as a marble or a small rubber ball. The mass and size of the projectile can affect its trajectory, so using a consistent projectile will help with accuracy and consistency in the lab.

4. Do I need to take air resistance into account?

In this lab, air resistance will not have a significant impact on the trajectory of the projectile. However, it is always important to consider all factors that may affect the motion of an object in a physics lab.

5. How many trials should I do to ensure accurate results?

To ensure accurate results, it is recommended to do at least 3 trials for each angle and velocity combination. This will help to account for any errors or inconsistencies and provide a more reliable average for your data analysis.