Solving Physics Challenges: Advice For a Rising Senior

• Thread starter therealkellys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Guidance
In summary, the speaker is a rising senior in high school interested in physics and planning to major in it in university. They are concerned about the difficulty of upper level classes and the workload, but have received reassurance from a junior engineering student that it is manageable with hard work and utilizing resources such as teachers and TAs. The speaker is confident in their chosen schedule for fall quarter and is motivated to do well in order to pursue graduate studies.
therealkellys
Hi,

I'm currently a rising senior in high school and super-interested in physics. I'm entering university next year as a college sophomore (about a quarter away credit-wise from junior standing due to dual-enrollment):cool: but was hoping you guys might be able to help me decide if I'm really cut out for physics.

The thing that's making me rethink majoring in physics, is that I have to work really hard in class. I'd say in the intro. classes I've taken so far, it takes at least 10-15 hours a week for me to get comfortable with the material. I spend a lot of time watching lectures on MIT's OCW, reading the text, and doing sample problems. I don't mind doing the work because I find it really rewarding when I finally get it, but I guess I'm just afraid that if its taking me so much time to even understand the intro. classes, I might end up in way over my head next year with the upper level ones. Do you think this is a valid concern? Are the upper level classes considerably harder?

Another concern I have is courseload. I've been trying to plan out my schedule for next year and am a little unsure about if the combinations of classes I've chosen is too rigoruous. Fall quarter I am planning on:
-Intro. Physics: Waves (5)
-Thermodynamics (3)
-Math: Calc 3 (5)
-Astro: The Solar System (3)
Does that look okay? I have heard Thermodynamics is hard, but I feel fairly confident about the others. The school I will be attending is a large, public university with a top-20 physics program. I am a pretty serious student, but want to make sure I don't overload myself with classes. I have read that grades (and research) are very important for grad school.

Thanks in advance for any input you guys might have
:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't worry about the fact that it takes you a long time to have a good grasp of concepts. I am a junior in an engineering program (with a good G.P.A) and it takes me time to understand concepts. However, once I get them I can utilize the concepts. One of the things I felt the intro classes were doing was making me think differently. They were teaching myself how to analyze and solve problems. Once I had a pretty good grasp of that the concepts came easier.

As long as your willing to do the work I don't think that schedule is too rough. I say go for it as long as you are willing to put in the hours hitting the books instead of going partying with your friends. Also do not be afraid to use your teacher and TA's as resources. Their office hours are there for a reason! So I say go for it!

Hi there, as a fellow physicist, I can definitely relate to your concerns and questions about majoring in physics. First of all, it's great to hear that you are passionate about physics and are already taking advanced classes through dual-enrollment. This shows that you are dedicated and have a strong interest in the subject. As for your concerns about the difficulty of upper level classes, let me assure you that it is completely normal to struggle with introductory classes and spend a significant amount of time studying and understanding the material. Physics is a challenging subject, but it is also incredibly rewarding when you finally grasp a concept or solve a difficult problem. This is what makes it such a fascinating field to study.

As for the difficulty of upper level classes, it really depends on the individual and the specific courses being taken. Some students may find certain upper level classes to be more challenging than others, while others may excel in those same classes. It also depends on the level of preparation and dedication you put into your studies. My advice would be to continue working hard and seeking help from your professors and classmates when needed. Don't let the fear of difficulty discourage you from pursuing your passion for physics. With hard work and determination, you can succeed in any class.

In terms of your planned course load, it looks like a good mix of classes. It's always a good idea to balance more challenging classes with some that may be less demanding. It's also important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Make sure to schedule in time for studying, but also for self-care and leisure activities. Remember, a healthy balance is key to academic success. And yes, grades and research are important for grad school, but don't let that be your sole focus. Enjoy your classes and take advantage of any research opportunities that come your way, but also make sure to have a well-rounded college experience.

Overall, my advice for a rising senior interested in physics is to continue working hard, seek help when needed, and don't let fear hold you back from pursuing your passion. Physics is a challenging but incredibly rewarding field, and I have no doubt that you will excel in your studies. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Related to Solving Physics Challenges: Advice For a Rising Senior

1. What are some tips for tackling challenging physics problems?

There are several strategies for solving physics challenges. First, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, use known equations and principles to solve each part individually. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or create visual representations of the problem. Additionally, practice and persistence are key in developing problem-solving skills.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include attending lectures and taking detailed notes, completing practice problems, and seeking help from professors or tutors when needed. It can also be helpful to make connections between different concepts and real-world applications.

3. How should I approach studying for physics exams?

Studying for physics exams requires a combination of understanding concepts and practicing problem-solving. Start studying early and review regularly to avoid cramming. Make sure to understand the key equations and principles, and practice applying them to different types of problems. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek help from a peer or professor.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems?

One common mistake is not paying attention to units and conversions. Make sure to use consistent units throughout the problem and convert between units as needed. Another mistake is not double-checking calculations or using the wrong formula. It is also important to understand the assumptions and limitations of equations and principles before applying them to a problem.

5. How can I prepare for a career in physics?

To prepare for a career in physics, it is important to continue developing problem-solving skills and understanding of physics concepts. It can also be beneficial to gain research experience and participate in internships or co-op programs. Building a strong foundation in mathematics and computer science can also be helpful for many career paths in physics.