Solving Permutation Problem: 7 Mech, 6 Civil & 5 Elec for 9 Presentations

• Thread starter etotheix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permutation
In summary, there are 48 different possible orders of presentation for day 1, taking into account the requirement of having 3 mechanical, 3 civil, and 3 electrical students in the group. This can be calculated by arranging the disciplines in a sequence of MMMCCCEEE and then arranging the students within each discipline, resulting in a total of (2!)^3 x (3!) = 48 possible combinations.
etotheix

Homework Statement

If the class contains 7 mechanical, 6 civil and 5 electrical and we require that the 9 individuals who give their presentations on day 1 must include 3 mechanical, 3 civil and 3 electrical, how many different orders of presentation are there for day 1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It looks like we have to combine 3 permutations together, taking only 3 students from each group.

I have no clue how to do this, I have tried reducing the problem to :
2 mechanical, 2 civil and 2 electrical and 1 per group must give a presentation.

I computed by hand the different orders of presentation, but then I don't know what formula to use to arrive at the same answer.

So If we have :
Mechanical students : A, B
Civil : C, D
Electrical : E, F

Then the different presentations on day 1 would be :

A, C, E
A, C, F
A, D, E
A, D, F
B, C, E
B, C, F
B, D, E
B, D, F

8*2*3 = 48 possible presentation order in this simple case, am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
i would read and think about it a little different as follows

well first deal with the order of presentations in terms of discipline only, not considering who gives them... you have MMMCCCEEE, any arrangement of this will give a valid presentation schedule, so how many different ways to arrange this sequence are there?

so say you have a set sequence eg/ MECECCEMM, how can you arrange the different students...?

consider first the Ms, how many different ways can you arrange 9 distinguishable mech students through the given 3 Ms?

Last edited:
etotheix said:
I have no clue how to do this, I have tried reducing the problem to :
2 mechanical, 2 civil and 2 electrical and 1 per group must give a presentation.

I computed by hand the different orders of presentation, but then I don't know what formula to use to arrive at the same answer.

So If we have :
Mechanical students : A, B
Civil : C, D
Electrical : E, F

Then the different presentations on day 1 would be :

A, C, E
A, C, F
A, D, E
A, D, F
B, C, E
B, C, F
B, D, E
B, D, F

8*2*3 = 48 possible presentation order in this simple case, am I right?

so this simple case reduces to:
choose 1 student from 2 = 2!
do it for each of the 3 disclipines = (2!)^3
now count the ways to arrange the 3 discliplines = (2!)^3. (3!) = = (2)^3. (3.2) = 8.(3.2)

which agree with your value

Related to Solving Permutation Problem: 7 Mech, 6 Civil & 5 Elec for 9 Presentations

1. How do you calculate the total number of possible presentations?

To calculate the total number of possible presentations, we use the formula nPr = n!/(n-r)! where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items chosen. In this case, n = 18 (7 Mech + 6 Civil + 5 Elec) and r = 9 (total number of presentations). Therefore, the total number of possible presentations is 18P9 = 3,909,840.

2. Can you explain the concept of permutations in simpler terms?

Permutations refer to the different ways in which a set of items can be arranged or ordered. In this problem, we are trying to find all the possible ways in which 18 items (7 Mech, 6 Civil, and 5 Elec) can be arranged in groups of 9.

3. How do you handle duplicate items in permutation problems?

In permutation problems, duplicate items are not considered separately. This means that if there are duplicate items, they are treated as one item and the total number of arrangements is calculated accordingly. In this problem, if there are duplicate majors, they will be considered as one major and the total number of presentations will be calculated based on this.

4. Is there a quicker way to calculate permutations?

Yes, there is a quicker way to calculate permutations using a calculator or a computer. Most scientific calculators have a function to calculate permutations (usually denoted as nPr or nPk). You can also use online permutation calculators or write a simple program to calculate permutations.

5. How do you know which formula to use for permutation problems?

The formula to use for permutation problems depends on the specific problem at hand. In general, we use the formula nPr = n!/(n-r)! where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items chosen. However, if there are restrictions or duplicate items, we may need to use other formulas such as nPk or nCr. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem to determine which formula is appropriate.