Solving PDE Linear 1st Order: Help with Colton's Example

• Thread starter robousy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary: In this case, z will be:z=g(x,y)and so:a(v_w w_x+v_z z_x)+b(v_w w_y+v_z z_y)+\text{the rest of it}will be equal to:a(v_w+gw_x)+b(v_w+gw_y)+\text{the rest of it}which is just the implicit solution of the PDE in the form:h(x,y)=c
robousy
Hi,
I'm working through 'Partial Differential Equations, an introduction' by Colton and am not finding it as clear as I hoped to.
I'm working through an example on how to solve a linear 1st order PDE.
I'll post Colton's example and Italic my questions:
Find the GS of

[tex]xu_x-yu_y+u=x[/tex]

The characteristic equation is

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{y}{x}[/tex]

Integrating gives:

[tex]logy=-logx+c[/tex]

or

[tex]xy=\gamma[/tex]

Hence setting:

[tex]\zeta=x , \\

\eta=xy[/tex]

in our first order PDE yields:

[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial \zeta}+\frac{1}{\zeta}w=1[/tex]

Ok, my first question, why set [tex]\zeta=x , \eta=xy[/tex]

I don't really see how this relates to the original equation, and also eta doesn't seem to 'do' anything, why not set it to y, or xy^2 etx...i don't follow the logic

ctd...whose solution is:

[tex]w(\zeta,\eta)=\frac{\zeta}{2}+\frac{1}{\zeta}d(\eta)[/tex]

next question, this only works for [tex]d(\eta)=0[/tex] so what is the purpose of introducing it?

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.
Rich

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
robousy said:
[tex]w(\zeta,\eta)=\frac{\zeta}{2}+\frac{1}{\zeta}d(\eta)[/tex]
next question, this only works for [tex]d(\eta)=0[/tex] so what is the purpose of introducing it?
If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.
Rich

Your solution contains an arbitrary function of xy. That's the d(xy) part or to avoid confusion with the d standing for derivatives, just call it K(xy) so that the solution in terms of x and y is:

[tex]u(x,y)=\frac{x}{2}+\frac{K(xy)}{x}[/tex]

Try back-substituting this into the PDE and use for example the cases:

[tex]K(xy)=xy[/tex]

[tex]K(xy)=Sin[xy][/tex]

[tex]K(xy)=xy+(xy)^2+e^{xy}[/tex]

Should work.

Thanks saltydog.

How about the first part to my question - the (in my 'non-lucid' mind) arbitrary assignment of eta and zeta?

robousy said:
Thanks saltydog.
How about the first part to my question - the (in my 'non-lucid' mind) arbitrary assignment of eta and zeta?

Hey Robousy, I'm not clear on the tangent vector explanation of this so I'll explain it this way:

When we have the first-order PDE:

[tex]a(x,y)u_x+b(x,y)u_y+u=f[/tex]

we try to make a change of variables:

[tex]w=h(x,y)\quad z=g(x,y)[/tex]

to eliminate one of the partials so that we end up with an equation:

[tex]v_z+v=f(w,z)\quad\text{with}\; v(w,z)\equiv u(x,y)[/tex]

or some variant thereof. This then can be treated as an ordinary ODE considering the variable w as a constant which we can then "partially integrate" with respect to z remembering when such partial integrations are done, the arbitrary constants become arbitrary functions of the variables kept constant. So what's:

[tex]\int f(x,y,z)\partial x[/tex]

but I digress.

In order to find suitable change of variables, we substitute v(w,z) into the PDE above and obtain (via the chain rule):

[tex]a(v_w w_x+v_z z_x)+b(v_w w_y+v_z z_y)+\text{the rest of it}[/tex]

or:

[tex]v_w(aw_x+bw_y)+(az_x+bz_y)v_z[/tex]

Thus, in order to convert the PDE into one in which only one derivative is present, we'd like:

[tex]aw_x+bw_y=0[/tex]

right?

Well, it turns out that this can be done if we let w equal to the implicit solution of the characteristic equation:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{b(x,y)}{a(x,y)}[/tex]

That is, suppose the solution is in the form:

[tex]h(x,y)=c[/tex]

Then we let:

[tex]w=h(x,y)[/tex]

z can be any function of x and y as this will not affect the part we wish to collapse but we of course choose the simplest one.

Last edited:

Related to Solving PDE Linear 1st Order: Help with Colton's Example

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe physical phenomena such as heat flow, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic fields.

2. What is a first-order linear PDE?

A first-order linear PDE is a PDE in which the highest-order derivative is of first degree and the coefficients of the derivatives are constants. It can be written in the form a(x,y)u_x + b(x,y)u_y = c(x,y), where u is the dependent variable and a, b, and c are functions of the independent variables x and y.

3. How do you solve a first-order linear PDE?

To solve a first-order linear PDE, you can use the method of characteristics. This involves finding a set of curves in the x-y plane where the PDE reduces to an ordinary differential equation. Solving this ODE will give a family of solution curves, which can then be used to find the solution to the original PDE.

4. What is Colton's example for solving a first-order linear PDE?

Colton's example is a specific first-order linear PDE that is commonly used to demonstrate the method of characteristics. It is written in the form u_x + y*u_y = u, and the characteristic curves are given by y = e^x.

5. What is the significance of solving first-order linear PDEs?

Solving first-order linear PDEs is important in many areas of science and engineering. It allows us to model and understand physical processes and make predictions about their behavior. It also serves as the basis for solving higher-order PDEs, which are often used in more complex systems.