Solving ODEs w/ Frobenius Method: Q on b, c as Funcs of x

In summary, the conversation is about the Frobenius method for solving ODEs with the form (x^2)y'' + xby' + cy = 0 and the difference in using the method for equations with constant coefficients versus equations with variable coefficients. The conversation also touches on difficulties with applying the method and potential solutions such as using the substitution z=x^2y.
Master J
I have been looking at the Frobenius method for solving ODEs of the form. I have a few questions on it.

(x^2)y'' + xby' + cy = 0

If b and c are functions of x, does one use the Frobenius method, where as if they are constants, it is an Euler Cauchy equation and you use y = x^r ??

Thats the first Q. anyway.

Thanks folks!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
y=xr only works for the Euler-Cauchy equation, i.e. b and c are constants.

If b and c are functions of x, you cannot use the try function y=xr.

Thanks for cledaring that up.

I'm having trouble applying the method. My textbook, (which I won't name but it's approach and exlanation in this section is absolutely terrible) isn't helping me much.

I have been trying to solve, for example,

xy'' + 5y' + xy = 0

So I get

SUM(n + r)(N + r -1)(a_n)x^(n + r -2) + SUM(5)(n + r)(a_n)x^(n + R -2) + SUM(a_n)x^(n + r +1) = 0

where SUM is the sum to infinity from n = 0.

and the general solution is of form y=(x^r)SUM(a_n)(x^n)

I don't know what to do know. The book's next steps are done without explanation really.
Can someone help me??

x=0 is a regular singular point. There is at least one solution of the form y=(x^r)SUM(a_n)(x^n)
where r satisfy the indicial equation r2+4r=0.
r1=0 , r2=-4 and r1-r2 is an integer in this case.

The Frobenius method only guarantee for r=0 (the larger root) but not for r=-4 (but there is no harm for trying)

If you know anything about Bessel equation, I would suggest you solve the equation using the substitution z=x2y.

Related to Solving ODEs w/ Frobenius Method: Q on b, c as Funcs of x

1. What is the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method is a technique used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs) with singular points. It involves finding a series solution for the ODE by assuming a solution in the form of a power series and then using recursion to determine the coefficients of the series.

2. How does the Frobenius method work?

The Frobenius method works by assuming a solution in the form of a power series and then substituting it into the ODE. This results in a recurrence relation for the coefficients of the series, which can be solved to find the values of the coefficients. The series can then be simplified and the solution can be written in terms of a linear combination of the coefficients.

3. What are b and c as functions of x?

In the context of the Frobenius method, b and c are known as indicial or singularities and are functions of x that arise when solving ODEs with singular points. They are used to determine the form of the power series solution and can be found by substituting the assumed solution into the ODE and equating coefficients.

4. Why are b and c important in the Frobenius method?

B and c are important in the Frobenius method because they determine the form of the power series solution. Depending on the values of b and c, the solution may be a polynomial, logarithmic function, or a combination of both. Additionally, the values of b and c can also indicate the type of singularity the ODE has, which can affect the convergence of the series solution.

5. What are some common applications of the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve differential equations. It is commonly used to solve ODEs for problems involving fluid mechanics, quantum mechanics, and heat transfer, among others. It is also useful for solving boundary value problems, as it allows for a more general solution compared to other methods.