Solving ODE for Sinusoidal Voltage: Current i in Terms of Parameters and t

In summary, the ODE can be written as (d^2 i)/(d t^2 ) + 25i = A0 sin (ϖt), and assuming that ϖ^2 ≠ 25, the current i can be determined in terms of the parameters (ϖ and A0) and the variable t when the initial conditions are i(0) = di/dt (0) = 0. The complementary solution is Acos(5t)+Bsin(5t), and the particular solution is acos(ϖt) + bsin (ϖt). By using the initial conditions and the fact that ip'' + 25ip = A0sin(ϖt), the constants A
longball
setting a sinusoidal voltage term, the ODE can be written as

(d^2 i)/(d t^2 ) + 25i = A0 sin (ϖt)

assuming that ϖ^2 ≠ 25, determine the current i in terms of the parameters (ϖ and A0) and the variable t when the initial conditions are

i(0) = di/dt (0) = 0

i really don't have much of an idea what to do here.

so far i have found

L.F ic= Acos(5t)+Bsin(5t)

P.S ip = acos(ϖt) + bsin (ϖt)

ip' = -ϖasin (ϖt) + ϖbcos (ϖt)

ip'' = -2ϖacos (ϖt) - 2ϖbsin (ϖt)

therefore

[-2ϖacos (ϖt) - 2ϖbsin (ϖt)] + [acos(ϖt) + bsin (ϖt)] = A0 sin (ϖt)

any help or further guidance to the work i have done would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the second derivative of sin is -sin, it would seem a good guess to try an ansatz [tex] i = A \sin 5t + B \cos 5t + C \sin \omega t [/tex]

longball said:
setting a sinusoidal voltage term, the ODE can be written as

(d^2 i)/(d t^2 ) + 25i = A0 sin (ϖt)

assuming that ϖ^2 ≠ 25, determine the current i in terms of the parameters (ϖ and A0) and the variable t when the initial conditions are

i(0) = di/dt (0) = 0

i really don't have much of an idea what to do here.

so far i have found

L.F ic= Acos(5t)+Bsin(5t)

P.S ip = acos(ϖt) + bsin (ϖt)
I don't know what L.F and P.S stand for, but these two functions are your complementary solution and particular solution. The general solution is the sum of these two functions. Use your initial conditions to solve for A and B in your complementary solution, and use the fact that ip'' + 25ip = A0sin(ϖt) to solve for the constants a and b.
longball said:
ip' = -ϖasin (ϖt) + ϖbcos (ϖt)

ip'' = -2ϖacos (ϖt) - 2ϖbsin (ϖt)

therefore

[-2ϖacos (ϖt) - 2ϖbsin (ϖt)] + [acos(ϖt) + bsin (ϖt)] = A0 sin (ϖt)

any help or further guidance to the work i have done would be much appreciated

Related to Solving ODE for Sinusoidal Voltage: Current i in Terms of Parameters and t

What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes how a function depends on its independent variable, typically in terms of its derivatives.

What is sinusoidal voltage?

Sinusoidal voltage is a type of alternating current (AC) that follows a sinusoidal waveform, meaning it oscillates between positive and negative values in a smooth, repetitive pattern.

How do you solve an ODE for sinusoidal voltage?

To solve an ODE for sinusoidal voltage, you first need to identify the parameters and variables involved, then use mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration to find a general solution. This can then be adjusted to fit the specific conditions of the problem at hand.

What is the relationship between current (i) and voltage in a sinusoidal circuit?

In a sinusoidal circuit, the current and voltage are related through Ohm's law, which states that the current (i) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). This means that as the voltage changes, the current will also change accordingly.

Why is solving ODE for sinusoidal voltage important?

Solving ODE for sinusoidal voltage is important in the field of electrical engineering, as it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of AC circuits. This is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electrical systems that utilize sinusoidal voltage, such as power grids, motors, and electronic devices.