Solving Nth Term of a Series Homework

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the associated series for a given nth partial sum and how to handle the constant term. The solution suggests using the same generating rule for all n, and subtracting 1 from the series to account for the constant term. The conversation also mentions being able to handle testing for convergence and determining the limit.
Aimee79

Homework Statement

Not really sure where tou go with this one.

Homework Equations

If the nth partial sum of a partial series is given by,

Sn= [tex]\frac{1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{n+2}+...+\frac{1}{2n}[/tex] = [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{n+k}[/tex]

a) write the associated series
b) test for convergence
c) if possible, determine its limit

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I have come up with:
[tex]s_1[/tex]=1/2
[tex]s_2[/tex]=1/2+1/3+1/4
[tex]s_3[/tex]=1/2+1/3+1/4+1/5+1/6

[tex]a_n = \left\{ \begin{array}{c} \frac{1}{2} \text{ for }n=1 \\ \frac{1}{2n-1}+\frac{1}{2n} \text{ for }n\geq 2 \end{array} \right.
[/tex]

I don't know what to do next. What do I do with the 1/2?

I am pretty sure I can handle b and c, I just need help with a.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have the general term. Really, you just now just say that associated series is sum of a_n, but if you want to put it "nicely", then putting in n=1 in the expression you have for n>2, its equal to 1.5, which is 1 too big. So you can use the same generating rule for all n, as long as you subtract 1 from the series.

"associated series"

Aimee79 said:
a) write the associated series

I am pretty sure I can handle b and c, I just need help with a.

Hi Aimee79! :smile:

The associated series just means the series {an} such that a1 + … + an = Sn.

Hint: subtract something. :wink:

Related to Solving Nth Term of a Series Homework

1. What is the Nth term of a series?

The Nth term of a series is the general formula or rule that describes the pattern of numbers in the series. It allows us to find any term in the series by plugging in the corresponding value of N.

2. How do I find the Nth term of a series?

To find the Nth term of a series, you need to first identify the pattern or rule that describes the series. Then, you can use algebraic techniques such as substitution or simplification to determine the formula for the Nth term.

3. Can I use any method to find the Nth term of a series?

Yes, there are various methods that can be used to find the Nth term of a series, such as the method of differences, the method of common differences, and the method of undetermined coefficients. The method you choose will depend on the complexity of the series and your personal preference.

4. Why is it important to find the Nth term of a series?

Finding the Nth term of a series allows us to make predictions about the values of the series at any given position. This can be useful in various real-world applications such as predicting future trends, estimating future values, and analyzing data.

5. Can the Nth term of a series be used for all types of series?

No, the Nth term of a series can only be found for series that have a consistent pattern or rule. If a series does not have a pattern or has a random sequence of numbers, it is not possible to find the Nth term for that series.