Solving nonlinear differential to emulate Newtonian gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses a personal project involving modeling physical systems and finding explicit solutions. The project looks for an analytic solution to the one-dimensional problem of free-fall with acceleration due to gravity being the inverse square of the distance. After some differential manipulation, a solution is found for time in terms of position. However, there is difficulty with finding the constant and dealing with complex values. The conversation then delves into trying to solve the problem using different methods, including a trigonometric substitution. Ultimately, a solution is found with the help of others and the poster plans on sharing their findings.
ellipsis
This is part of a personal project... I've recently become addicted to modeling various physical systems from scratch, such that I find explicit solutions of position as a function of time, and graph em.

But I've hit a glass ceiling trying to find an analytic solution to the 1-dimensional problem free-fall problem where acceleration due to gravity is the inverse square of the distance:
$$
a = \frac{-1}{x^2}
$$
To keep it as simple as possible, I'm assuming the initial velocity is zero, and the initial position is positive. With a little differential manipulation I found:
$$
v = -\sqrt{\frac{2}{x}-\frac{2}{x_i}}
$$
I'm 99% confident that's correct where ##0<x\leq x_i##, and it seems intuitive. It follows from that, then:

$$
t = \int \frac{-1}{\sqrt{\frac{2}{x}-\frac{2}{x_i}}}\,dx
$$
Now this is a nasty integral, but it does have an explicit solution. You just cannot explicitly solve for x, but I'm perfectly happy with t in terms of x rather than x in terms of t (Because I can just convert it to a parametric form).

The only problem is: Wolfram_Alpha and MATLAB disagree on what the integral is, and I have no idea what to do with the constant, besides. Also, Wolfram_Alpha returns an expression with complex values, which I don't understand or want.

If anybody knows how to do this, any help would be vastly appreciated... I've only formally taken up to Calculus II, and I've been struggling with this for weeks now. (I fear I simply don't have the required math knowledge yet... e.g. what is a Lagrangian?)

Physics news on Phys.org
(X-post from Physics)

This is part of a personal project... I've recently become addicted to modeling various physical systems from scratch, such that I find explicit solutions of position as a function of time, and graph em.

But I've hit a glass ceiling trying to find an analytic solution to the 1-dimensional problem free-fall problem where acceleration due to gravity is the inverse square of the distance:
$$
a = \frac{-1}{x^2}
$$
To keep it as simple as possible, I'm assuming the initial velocity is zero, and the initial position is positive. With a little differential manipulation I found:
$$
v = -\sqrt{\frac{2}{x}-\frac{2}{x_i}}
$$
I'm 99% confident that's correct where ##0<x\leq x_i##, and it seems intuitive. It follows from that, then:

$$
t = \int \frac{-1}{\sqrt{\frac{2}{x}-\frac{2}{x_i}}}\,dx
$$
Now this is a nasty integral, but it does have an explicit solution. You just cannot explicitly solve for x, but I'm perfectly happy with t in terms of x rather than x in terms of t (Because I can just convert it to a parametric form).

The only problem is: Wolfram_Alpha and MATLAB disagree on what the integral is, and I have no idea what to do with the constant, besides. Also, Wolfram_Alpha returns an expression with complex values, which I don't understand or want.

If anybody knows how to do this, any help would be vastly appreciated... I've only formally taken up to Calculus II, and I've been struggling with this for weeks now. (I fear I simply don't have the required math knowledge yet... e.g. what is a Lagrangian?)

Your units do not agree in your very first equation.
GIGO

Here goes:

Rearrange the integral for t:
$$ t = - \int \sqrt{ \frac{x x_i}{2(x_i - x)}} dx $$

This suggests that we could use a change of variables into a trigonometric function: ## x = x_i \sin^2 u ##:
$$ t = - \sqrt{2 (x_i)^3} \int \sin^2 u \, du $$
giving
$$ t = - \sqrt{2 (x_i)^3} \frac12 (u - \sin u \cos u) $$

A word of warning about this solution: it cancels to first order near u = 0, giving ## O(u^3) ## behavior. You could try doing the integral numerically as an alternative.

Likes ellipsis
Is that relevant to the solution of the differential equation? I neglected to add in realistic parameters to avoid unnecessary complexity, but if you insist...

$$
a = -\frac{GM}{(R+h)^2}
$$

I detect a certain dubiousness on your part, Integral, but I think that's fair. I'll explicitly go through the steps to find velocity in terms of current height, initial velocity, and initial height. So you know I'm not talking out of my butt here.

First, some obvious definitions:
$$
\begin{align}
a = \frac{dv}{dt}\\
v = \frac{dh}{dt}
\end{align}
$$

Via the chain rule:
$$
\begin{align}
a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dh}\frac{dh}{dt} = v\frac{dv}{dh}\\

v\frac{dv}{dh} = -\frac{GM}{(R+h)^2}\\
\\
v~dv = -\frac{GM}{(R+h)^2}~dh
\end{align}
$$

Now we integrate:
$$\begin{align}
\int v\,dv = \int -\frac{GM}{(R+h)^2}\,dh\\
\frac{1}{2}v^2 = \frac{GM}{R+h}+C_1
v^2 = \frac{2GM}{R+h}+C_1
\end{align}$$

(Now we must briefly solve for ##C_1##)
$$\begin{align}
v_i^2 = \frac{2GM}{R+h_i}+C_1\\
C_1 = -\frac{2GM}{R+h_i}+v_i^2
\end{align}$$

And replace ##C_1## in the original:
$$\begin{align}
v^2 = \frac{2GM}{R+h}-\frac{2GM}{R+h_i}+v_i^2
\end{align}$$

Finally, we obtain:
$$\begin{align}
v = \pm\sqrt{\frac{2GM}{R+h}-\frac{2GM}{R+h_i}+v_i^2}
\end{align}$$

All of the units should now check out. You'll have to use common sense to realize whether the velocity should positive (up) or negative (down).

In the case of Earth...

$$\begin{align}
v = \pm\sqrt{\frac{797200884}{6371+h}-\frac{797200884}{6371+h_i}+v_i^2}
\end{align}$$
A few sanity checks:
For initial height of 10, initial velocity 0, and final height 0, I get a final velocity of very nearly 14 m/s. Which is what the normal kinematic equations give.

That equation for a should be -k/x^2. Then you will have a ##\sqrt{2k}## in the equation, instead of a 2. Multiply numerator and denominator in the equation for t by ##\sqrt{xx_i}##, and then you can do the integration using trig substitution.

Chet

Thank you so much. You are a wizard of mathematics, a scholar of the arcane. Although I didn't end up using your trigonometric substitution trick (though, that might make for a more efficient simulation), your initial simplification allowed me to convince W|A to give me the right integral.

When I finish fixing it up I will post it here for posterity.

Here's the final solution I found, in parametric form:
$$\begin{cases}
x = \sqrt{\frac{x_i}{2}}\Bigg(\sqrt{Tx_i-T^2} - x_i\sin^{-1}{\Big(\sqrt{\frac{T}{x_i}}\Big)} + \frac{x_i\pi}{2}\Bigg)\\
y = T
\end{cases}$$
where x is x and y is t. When graphing, it is best to do it from ##T = 0 \to x_i##

I could really not have imagined a better result... I have spent months convinced that an analytical solution to this DE was impossible. In celebration, here's how it should look when graphed:

newton.gif
. . .

numerical.png

Last edited:
ellipsis said:
Here's the final solution I found, in parametric form:
$$\begin{cases}
x = \sqrt{\frac{x_i}{2}}\Bigg(\sqrt{Tx_i-T^2} - x_i\sin^{-1}{\Big(\sqrt{\frac{T}{x_i}}\Big)} + \frac{x_i\pi}{2}\Bigg)\\
y = T
\end{cases}$$
where x is x and y is t. When graphing, it is best to do it from ##T = 0 \to x_i##

Could you possibly roughly explain how you got that parametric equation? I got stuck here the first time I tried:
ellipsis said:
Finally, we obtain:
\begin{align} v = \pm\sqrt{\frac{2GM}{R+h}-\frac{2GM}{R+h_i}+v_i^2} \end{align}

And have not made any progress since.

Related to Solving nonlinear differential to emulate Newtonian gravity

1. What is a nonlinear differential equation?

A nonlinear differential equation is an equation that involves derivatives of a function and the function itself in a nonlinear way. This means that the relationship between the function and its derivatives is not a simple linear one, making it more difficult to solve.

2. How does Newtonian gravity relate to nonlinear differential equations?

Newtonian gravity can be described by a nonlinear differential equation, specifically the inverse square law which states that the force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This relationship is expressed as a nonlinear differential equation.

3. Can nonlinear differential equations be solved analytically?

In most cases, nonlinear differential equations cannot be solved analytically. This means that there is no exact formula or method to find the solution. Instead, numerical methods and approximations are often used to solve these equations.

4. How can solving nonlinear differential equations help us emulate Newtonian gravity?

By solving nonlinear differential equations, we can create mathematical models that accurately describe the behavior of objects under the influence of gravity. This allows us to make predictions and simulate the motion of objects in the same way that Newtonian gravity does.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving nonlinear differential equations to emulate Newtonian gravity?

Solving nonlinear differential equations to emulate Newtonian gravity has many practical applications, such as predicting the motion of planets and other celestial bodies, designing spacecraft trajectories, and understanding the behavior of objects in strong gravitational fields, such as black holes.