Solving ϵ-N Proofs: Simplifying the Denominator with sqrt(2)

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a ϵ-N proof and the use of the limit theorem. The conversation includes tips on making the denominator smaller, proving by induction, and using limit rules to calculate the limit. It is noted that the constant \sqrt{2} is a red herring and can be disregarded. The conversation ends with the confirmation that the limit will go to 0.
Oshada
ϵ-N proof

Homework Statement

o5orcj.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to make the denominator smaller as is usual with ϵ-N proofs. But the sqrt(2) confuses me. Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Indeed, try to make the denominator smaller. Try to prove that there is an N such that for all n>N

[tex]n^3\leq n^3+2n-\sqrt{2}[/tex]

The [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is just a red herring. It's just a constant.

Should I prove that by induction? Also, once I've resolved the denominator, how should I go about with the denominator? And any help with the limit theorem explanation would be very handy. Thanks!

Oshada said:
Should I prove that by induction?

Yes.

Also, once I've resolved the denominator, how should I go about with the denominator?

If you're done with the denominator, then you have

[tex]\left|\frac{7n+13}{n^3+2n-\sqrt{2}}\right|\leq \left|\frac{7n+13}{n^3}\right|[/tex]

You may want to eliminate the constant 13 by making the numerator bigger.

And any help with the limit theorem explanation would be very handy. Thanks!

Well, the trick is basically to bring n in front of the numerator and to bring n3 in front of the denominator. Then you can eliminate an n and you can calculate the limit using the limit rules.

Thank you very much! Does the limit go to 0? I got 0 from both N and limit theorems (N was sqrt(20/ϵ))

Yes, the limit will go to 0!

Related to Solving ϵ-N Proofs: Simplifying the Denominator with sqrt(2)

1. What is the purpose of solving ϵ-N proofs?

The purpose of solving ϵ-N proofs is to simplify complex mathematical expressions involving the square root of 2 in the denominator. This simplification makes it easier to manipulate and solve equations, and to better understand the relationship between the variables involved.

2. How do you approach solving ϵ-N proofs?

The first step in solving ϵ-N proofs is to identify the square root of 2 in the denominator and to isolate it by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the square root of 2. This eliminates the radical in the denominator and simplifies the expression. From there, you can continue to manipulate the expression using algebraic techniques to solve for the variable.

3. Can ϵ-N proofs be solved using other methods?

Yes, ϵ-N proofs can also be solved using trigonometric identities or by rationalizing the denominator. However, using the method of simplifying the denominator with the square root of 2 is often the most efficient and straightforward approach.

4. Are there any limitations to solving ϵ-N proofs with this method?

One limitation is that the method of simplifying the denominator with the square root of 2 only works for expressions involving the square root of 2. It cannot be used for other radicals or complex expressions.

5. How can solving ϵ-N proofs be applied in real-world situations?

Solving ϵ-N proofs can be applied in many real-world situations where mathematical modeling is required. For example, it can be used to simplify equations in physics, engineering, and economics, making it easier to analyze and understand the relationships between different variables.