Solving Multivariable Calculus Final Problems: F. and G.

In summary, the conversation is about a difficult multivariable calculus final, with a low average grade and a request for help on two problems. The first problem, F, involves showing a certain equation, while the second problem, G, involves finding the area of a tetrahedron enclosed by a specific equation. The person attempted to solve both problems, but had trouble and is unsure if their attempts were mathematically correct. They are open to looking at solutions if provided.
CookieSalesman

Homework Statement

I had a rather tough multivariable calculus final, and the class was creamed by it. Apparently the professor thinks a 40% average is okay.

But here is a portion of the problems. Please help me solve 'em. I'm not exactly sure if I'm taking the right path in these, but I did work on them to try and solve it.

F.
jjfzk73.png

show that
he5tvs9.png

G. xyz=a3 encloses a tetrahedron with any of its tangent planes. Show that the area of the tetrahedron is constant.
In my work, I sometimes just considered a3 to be any constant "c" for simplicity's sake.

Homework Equations

(Look... there's a ton of relevant equations..)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt at a solution.

F.
http://postimg.org/image/fif8ixl53/
I'm actually pretty happy with this solution, seeing as I may have gotten it somewhere. But as for really figuring it out entirely I couldn't. I was just stuck at y/x and I can't really see how the equation works out.
http://postimg.org/image/xudxf024b/
There's my attempt at the end. I'm really not sure if this was mathematically allowed.

G.
http://postimg.org/image/o2myzhgw9/
Here's my attempt at this...
I really don't know what to do. It feels really simple, but at the time I tried I just couldn't do it.
I know you can represent the area of a tet by multiplying xy(.5) and then z(.5) which gives the area but I ended up not being able to do that. I think. I couldn't figure out how to write the equations. You can see those equations in the bottom left- they're boxed. I don't know if those are right. I'm not sure if the denominator is interchangable with the other remaining variable. I tried to draw level curves with one variable fixed at 1 in those 3 graphs, but I'm not sure if those were "right". Etc etc...
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
CookieSalesman said:

Homework Statement

I had a rather tough multivariable calculus final, and the class was creamed by it. Apparently the professor thinks a 40% average is okay.

But here is a portion of the problems. Please help me solve 'em. I'm not exactly sure if I'm taking the right path in these, but I did work on them to try and solve it.

F.
jjfzk73.png

show that
he5tvs9.png

G. xyz=a3 encloses a tetrahedron with any of its tangent planes. Show that the area of the tetrahedron is constant.
In my work, I sometimes just considered a3 to be any constant "c" for simplicity's sake.

Homework Equations

(Look... there's a ton of relevant equations..)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt at a solution.

F.
http://postimg.org/image/fif8ixl53/
I'm actually pretty happy with this solution, seeing as I may have gotten it somewhere. But as for really figuring it out entirely I couldn't. I was just stuck at y/x and I can't really see how the equation works out.
http://postimg.org/image/xudxf024b/
There's my attempt at the end. I'm really not sure if this was mathematically allowed.

G.
http://postimg.org/image/o2myzhgw9/
Here's my attempt at this...
I really don't know what to do. It feels really simple, but at the time I tried I just couldn't do it.
I know you can represent the area of a tet by multiplying xy(.5) and then z(.5) which gives the area but I ended up not being able to do that. I think. I couldn't figure out how to write the equations. You can see those equations in the bottom left- they're boxed. I don't know if those are right. I'm not sure if the denominator is interchangable with the other remaining variable. I tried to draw level curves with one variable fixed at 1 in those 3 graphs, but I'm not sure if those were "right". Etc etc...
Thanks.

I would be willing to look at the solutions if you typed them out.

Related to Solving Multivariable Calculus Final Problems: F. and G.

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of several variables, as opposed to single variable calculus which deals with functions of a single variable. It involves the study of limits, derivatives, integrals, and series in a multi-dimensional context.

2. What is the purpose of a multivariable calculus final?

The purpose of a multivariable calculus final is to assess a student's understanding and mastery of the concepts and techniques learned throughout the course. It typically covers topics such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and applications of multivariable calculus.

3. How can I prepare for a multivariable calculus final?

To prepare for a multivariable calculus final, it is important to review all of the material covered in the course, including notes, assignments, and textbook examples. Practice problems and past exams can also be helpful in identifying areas of weakness and reinforcing understanding.

4. What are some common challenges students face in a multivariable calculus final?

Some common challenges students face in a multivariable calculus final include understanding and applying the various concepts and formulas correctly, working with multiple dimensions and variables, and managing time effectively to complete the exam within the allotted time.

5. How can I improve my performance on a multivariable calculus final?

To improve performance on a multivariable calculus final, it is important to practice and review regularly, seek help from professors or tutors if needed, and approach the exam with a clear understanding of the material and a calm and focused mindset. It is also beneficial to identify and work on any weak areas before the exam.