Solving Motor Stall Current Issue: Tips and Tricks | Master Project Update

In summary, the individual is having trouble starting their DC motor due to a mistake in choosing a suitable power supply. They need a way to jump-start the motor without replacing the expensive power supply. One solution suggested is using a 1 ohm series resistor or multiple 24V truck headlamp globes to limit the current during start-up. Another alternative is to create a switching current limiter.
maxstag
Hi,

I am currently doing my Master project and unfortunately did a rookie mistake.
My DC motor is mechanically linked to a loaded PMA (wind turbine generator) and I need to run it at a variable speed. All this is built, however when choosing my PSU, I forgot to take into account the stall current (which was unfortunately not indicated in the motor's datasheet. My motor is rated at around 600W (3/4 HP to be precise) with 24V (so a current of 25A). My PSU is the same, 24V and 25A rated. My whole system is built, the motor starts for 1 second and then the PSU stops working (very probably due to overloading). I am therefore unable to start my motor at all.

Would any of you have a solution for me to jump-start my motor without having to replace the whole PSU (which is quite expensive)? I still do not have a measurement of stall current, but I ordered a meter shunt to help make my measurements.

Datasheet:
OMPMDC34-18-24V-56C :
http://www.omega.com/Auto/pdf/OMPM-DC.pdf

Thank You for your help.

maxstag

Engineering news on Phys.org
The quick and dirty solution would be a 1 ohm series resistor rated about 600 watt. Instead of a resistor, I would consider using 24V 100W truck headlamp globes, maybe 4 to 6 of them in parallel. That will limit current during start-up, globes will then go dim and low resistance once motor is running. Maybe a parallel switch to short the globes for maximum power.

Alternatively, make a switching current limiter.

Related to Solving Motor Stall Current Issue: Tips and Tricks | Master Project Update

1. What is motor stall current?

Motor stall current is the maximum current that a motor will draw when it is prevented from rotating. It is the highest amount of electrical current that the motor can handle before it stalls or stops moving.

2. Why is motor stall current important?

Motor stall current is important because it helps determine the maximum load that a motor can handle. It is also an important factor in selecting the appropriate motor for a specific application.

3. How is motor stall current different from rated current?

Motor stall current is the maximum current that a motor can handle, while rated current is the average current that the motor is designed to operate at. Motor stall current occurs when the motor is under the highest possible load, while rated current is based on the motor's normal operating conditions.

4. What factors can affect motor stall current?

Some factors that can affect motor stall current include the type and size of the motor, the load on the motor, and the voltage and frequency of the power supply. External factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect motor stall current.

5. How can motor stall current be reduced?

Motor stall current can be reduced by using a motor with a lower stall current rating, reducing the load on the motor, or increasing the voltage or frequency of the power supply. Proper maintenance and lubrication of the motor can also help reduce motor stall current.