Solving Moments of Force: Finding A & B

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force of A and B by taking moments at A. The homework equations of balancing clockwise and anti-clockwise moments and upward and downward forces are mentioned. The attempt at a solution is shown, but it is incorrect due to neglecting the moment of the 2kN force and not knowing the distance between B and A. The person requests advice for solving the problem in the future.
isigne

bcb2e14d67b70ed7b51d9eab837ab547.png

How do I find the force of A and B. I am taking moments at A but I am not getting the correct answer. (More Details below of attempt)

Homework Equations

Ʃ Of Clockwise Moments = Ʃ Of Anti-Clockwise Moments
Ʃ Of Upward Force = Ʃ Of Downward Force

The Attempt at a Solution

(THIS IS WRONG BUT THIS IS MY ATTEMPT)

A => (3x2)+(5x5)+(12x2)= Bx11
=> 6 + 25 + 24 = B x 11
=> 55 = B x 11
=> 55/11 = B
=> 5 = bTHANKS FOR HELP, I was trying this weekend and I need some genius advice so when I get this question again, I will be able to do so :)

Physics news on Phys.org
isigne said:
A => (3x2)+(5x5)+(12x2)= Bx11
I assume you're using A as your pivot point.
(1) You neglected the moment due to the 2kN force at the left end.
(2) What's the distance between B and A?

Related to Solving Moments of Force: Finding A & B

1. What is the definition of moment of force?

The moment of force, also known as torque, is the measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is the product of the force and the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force.

2. How do you calculate the moment of force?

The moment of force can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force. This can be represented by the formula M = F x d, where M is the moment of force, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. What is the purpose of finding A and B in solving moments of force?

A and B represent the unknown forces acting on an object in a system. By solving for these forces, we can determine the overall stability and equilibrium of the object and analyze the effects of external forces on the system.

4. What are the steps to solve moments of force for A and B?

The steps to solve moments of force for A and B are as follows:
1. Draw a free body diagram of the object.
2. Identify all the external forces acting on the object.
3. Choose a pivot point and calculate the perpendicular distances from each force to the pivot point.
4. Write the equations for the sum of moments in both the clockwise and counterclockwise directions.
5. Solve for the unknown forces A and B using algebraic manipulation.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving moments of force?

Solving moments of force is essential in understanding the stability and balance of structures and objects. It is used in engineering to design and analyze structures, such as bridges and buildings, to ensure they can withstand external forces. It is also used in the study of biomechanics to analyze the movements and forces involved in human movement and sports performance.