Turning effects, moments, levers, determing the magnitude of the force

In summary, the figure shows a section of the human forearm in equilibrium with an object weighing 60 N and a forearm weight of 18 N. By taking moments about the elbow, it can be determined that the magnitude of the force provided by the bicep is 620.6 N.
lolyland
The figure below shows a section of the human forearm in equilibrium.

The weight of the object in the hand is 60 N. The centre of gravity of this object is
32 cm from the elbow. The bicep provides an upward force of magnitude F. The distance between the line of action of this force and the elbow is 3.5 cm. The weight of the forearm is 18 N. The distance between the centre of gravity of the forearm and the elbow is 14 cm.
By taking moments about the elbow, determine the magnitude of the force F provided by the bicep.

(Diagram Attached)

I have attempted at the question
Ʃ of moment in clockwise = Ʃ of moment in anticlockwise
F1 x S1 + F2 x S2

F3 xS3

However, I am rather lost!
Any help would be great thanks!

Attachments

• physics question (elbow).docx
    17.7 KB · Views: 294
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing down the moments about the elbow.

I have attempted at the question
Ʃ of moment in clockwise = Ʃ of moment in anticlockwise

You seem to have the write approach so not sure why you are lost.

Especially if you meant to write..

F1 x S1 + F2 x S2 = F3 x S3

My second attempt!

ƩMc=ƩMA
F1S1 + F2S2 =F3xS3
60 x 0.32 + 18x0.14 = F3 x 0.035
19.2 + 2.52 = 0.035 F3
22.72= 0.035 F3
21.62/0.035= F3
620.6 N = F3

I am hoping this is right!

That's what I make it.

Related to Turning effects, moments, levers, determing the magnitude of the force

1. What is a turning effect in physics?

A turning effect, also known as a torque, is the ability of a force to cause an object to rotate or turn around a fixed point or axis. It is dependent on both the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the distance between the force and the axis of rotation.

2. What are moments in physics?

Moments, also referred to as moments of force, are the turning effects of forces around a specific point or axis. They are calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance between the force and the axis of rotation. Moments can be both clockwise or counterclockwise, depending on the direction of the force.

3. How do levers work in determining the magnitude of a force?

Levers are simple machines that consist of a fulcrum, an effort force, and a load. By changing the position of the fulcrum, levers can either amplify or reduce the magnitude of the effort force needed to move a load. The lever principle states that the effort force multiplied by its distance from the fulcrum is equal to the load multiplied by its distance from the fulcrum.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a force using moments?

To calculate the magnitude of a force using moments, you need to know the distance between the force and the point of rotation, as well as the direction of the force. The magnitude of the force is then equal to the moment divided by the distance between the force and the point of rotation. The unit of force is newtons (N).

5. How can the magnitude of a force be determined experimentally?

The magnitude of a force can be determined experimentally by using a device called a force meter or a dynamometer. This device measures the amount of force applied to it and displays it in newtons (N). The force can also be calculated by measuring the distance between the force and the axis of rotation and using the formula for moments (force x distance = moment).