Solving Modulo Arithmetic Equations in Z/5Z^2

In summary: YEP:redface:In summary, the system of equations in the given field can be solved by substituting the second equation to solve for one variable and then plugging it into the first equation. The solution is S={(-6^-,4^-)} or (4, 4) in the quotient set of integers mod 5. It is worth noting that the set notation should be written as ##\mathbb{Z}/5\mathbb{Z} \times \mathbb{Z}/5\mathbb{Z}## and that the ^- symbol can be inputted in LaTeX using \bar or \overline.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Solve in [tex]K=\mathbb{Z}/_{5}\mathbb{Z}\cdot\mathbb{Z}/_{5}\mathbb{Z}[/tex] the following system of equations:

[tex]\begin{cases}
2^{-}x-3^{-}y=1^{-} & 1^{-}x+2^{-}y=2^{-}\end{cases}[/tex]
Not that the ^- means a number with a bar over it. ( I don't know how to input it in the latex software that I use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solve this system of equations by using the second equation to get x=2-2y and i substituted it for x in the first equation and i got a solution of S={(-6^-,4^-)}

Is that solution correct??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

Solve in [tex]K=\mathbb{Z}/_{5}\mathbb{Z}\cdot\mathbb{Z}/_{5}\mathbb{Z}[/tex] the following system of equations:

[tex]\begin{cases}

Not that the ^- means a number with a bar over it. ( I don't know how to input it in the latex software that I use.

I solve this system of equations by using the second equation to get x=2-2y and i substituted it for x in the first equation and i got a solution of S={(-6^-,4^-)}

I get (4, 4) as the only solution. Since -6 ##\equiv -1## (mod 5) ## \equiv ## 4 (mod 5), I think we arrived at the same thing.

mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\begin{cases}

As Mark already said, your solution is correct. :smile:For your information, \bar or \overline will put a bar on top of a symbol.
Like this: ##\bar{12}## or ##\overline{12}##.Btw, your set should be ##\mathbb{Z}/5\mathbb{Z} \times \mathbb{Z}/5\mathbb{Z}##.

##5\mathbb{Z}## is the set with the number 5 multiplied with any whole number (the 5-folds).

##\mathbb{Z}/5\mathbb{Z}## is the so called quotient set with all 5-folds "divided away".

##A \times B## is the so called cartesian product of sets A and B that consists of ordered pairs.

I like Serena said:
As Mark already said, your solution is correct. :smile:

For your information, \bar or \overline will put a bar on top of a symbol.
Like this: ##\bar{12}## or ##\overline{12}##.

Btw, your set should be ##\mathbb{Z}/5\mathbb{Z} \times \mathbb{Z}/5\mathbb{Z}##.

##5\mathbb{Z}## is the set with the number 5 multiplied with any whole number (the 5-folds).

##\mathbb{Z}/5\mathbb{Z}## is the so called quotient set with all 5-folds "divided away".

##A \times B## is the so called cartesian product of sets A and B that consists of ordered pairs.

Thanks for the extra information. Too bad my teacher doesn't tell us any of this stuff.

mtayab1994 said:
Thanks for the extra information. Too bad my teacher doesn't tell us any of this stuff.

Ah well, at least we can give some added value then, here on PF. :wink:

I like Serena said:
Ah well, at least we can give some added value then, here on PF. :wink:

YEP:redface:

Related to Solving Modulo Arithmetic Equations in Z/5Z^2

1. What is Modulo Arithmetic?

Modulo Arithmetic, also known as Modular Arithmetic or Clock Arithmetic, is a mathematical system that deals with the remainder after division. It involves performing arithmetic operations on integers within a fixed range, known as a modulus.

2. How is Modulo Arithmetic used in real life?

Modulo Arithmetic has various applications in daily life, such as calculating time, finding the day of the week, and encryption algorithms. It is also used in computer programming to perform tasks like indexing and data compression.

3. What is the difference between Modulo Arithmetic and regular arithmetic?

The main difference between Modulo Arithmetic and regular arithmetic is that in Modulo Arithmetic, the result is always within a fixed range, while in regular arithmetic, the result can be any integer. Additionally, Modulo Arithmetic only involves addition, subtraction, and multiplication, while regular arithmetic also includes division.

4. What are modular classes in Modulo Arithmetic?

In Modulo Arithmetic, a modular class is a set of integers that have the same remainder when divided by a given modulus. For example, in the modular class of 5 (mod 12), all numbers that leave a remainder of 5 when divided by 12 belong to this class, such as 17, 29, and 41.

5. Can Modulo Arithmetic be performed on non-integers?

No, Modulo Arithmetic is only applicable to integers. If non-integers are used, they must be converted to integers first before performing the operations. This is because the concept of remainder after division is not defined for non-integers.