Solving Math Sequence Homework with Help and Pointers

• Thread starter Mike_Winegar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the problem presented is looking for a summation using the sigma symbol. The conversation includes examples and explanations of how to solve a summation problem and the importance of parentheses in the equations. The final solution involves adding fractions with a common denominator.
Mike_Winegar

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://webwork2.math.utah.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/a4/32b370a8c66b49443277f94aa0edf51.png

Homework Equations

The equations that I can see in my book and online look nothing like this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Really just looking for a pointer in the right direction...What to look up in my book/online.

I'm assuming it's looking for a summation seeing as the symbol is included, it's just that the problem doesn't look like any others in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mike! :smile:

(have a sigma: ∑ :wink:)

Isn't it just 1/1 + 1/2 + 1/3 ? :confused:

That is what it was looking for. So for problems that look like that, I add one to K for each term? Then add that to the previous term?

Before this problem, have you been introduced to the summation sign, start index and end index yet?

In any case, I'll give you a similar example:

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^4 k = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10[/tex]

Basically, the k is just a placeholder in the summand. The k=1 means that the first value you plug in for k is 1, then you plug in 2, ... all the way until 4. Then you add them all up.

Another harder example is:

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^5 \frac{1}{1+k}[/tex]

Do you think you could solve this one? Once you're able to solve this, your problem will be trivial.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Mike! :smile:

(have a sigma: ∑ :wink:)

Isn't it just 1/1 + 1/2 + 1/3 ? :confused:

You gave him the answer! :frown:

gb7nash said:

nooo :rolleyes:

mike still has to add it! :biggrin:

gb7nash said:
Before this problem, have you been introduced to the summation sign, start index and end index yet?

In any case, I'll give you a similar example:

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^4 k = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10[/tex]

Basically, the k is just a placeholder in the summand. The k=1 means that the first value you plug in for k is 1, then you plug in 2, ... all the way until 4. Then you add them all up.

Another harder example is:

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^5 \frac{1}{1+k}[/tex]

Do you think you could solve this one? Once you're able to solve this, your problem will be trivial.

So on the one you were referring to, the fully written out terms would be

1/2 + 1/1+2 + 1/1+3 + 1/1+4 +1/1+5

Right? If so, I think I've got it.

Mike_Winegar said:
So on the one you were referring to, the fully written out terms would be

1/2 + 1/1+2 + 1/1+3 + 1/1+4 +1/1+5

Right? If so, I think I've got it.

Parentheses are very important. I'm assuming you mean:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{1+2} + \frac{1}{1+3} + \frac{1}{1+4} + \frac{1}{1+5}[/tex]

?

gb7nash said:
Parentheses are very important. I'm assuming you mean:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{1+2} + \frac{1}{1+3} + \frac{1}{1+4} + \frac{1}{1+5}[/tex]

?

Haha, exactly...I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for your help!

no problem

Related to Solving Math Sequence Homework with Help and Pointers

1. What is the purpose of using pointers in solving math sequence homework?

Pointers are used in solving math sequence homework to keep track of the current position in the sequence and to help identify the patterns and rules that govern the sequence. They can also be used to efficiently manipulate values in the sequence.

2. How can I use pointers to solve math sequence homework more effectively?

To use pointers effectively, you can start by identifying the pattern or rule of the sequence and then using the pointers to keep track of the current position in the sequence. This will help you to quickly identify the next number in the sequence and complete the homework more efficiently.

3. Can pointers be used to solve any type of math sequence?

Yes, pointers can be used to solve any type of math sequence as long as there is a clear pattern or rule that governs the sequence. Pointers are a powerful tool that can be used in various mathematical problems involving sequences.

4. How do I know when to use pointers in solving math sequence homework?

You can use pointers when you encounter a math sequence problem that requires identifying patterns or rules and manipulating values in the sequence. This can be determined by carefully analyzing the problem and identifying the steps needed to solve it.

5. Can pointers be used in collaboration with other problem-solving techniques?

Yes, pointers can be used in collaboration with other problem-solving techniques, such as using algebraic equations or creating a visual representation of the sequence. Combining different problem-solving techniques can lead to a more efficient and accurate solution.