Partial Fraction Decomposition

In summary: You multiplied both sides of the original equation by 2x(x + 1)2. The left side is correct, but the right side isn't. For example, when you multiply A/(2x) by 2x(x + 1)2, you should get A(x + 1)2, not A(x + 1)3 as you show. In each of the three multiplications, you'll get some cancellation.
xxwinexx

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://webwork2.math.utah.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/60/0cff8a5107e21ae393dee5038fb6b31.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been attempting to use the general method of solving found at this website:
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/partfrac2.htm

Basically it has me multiply out all of the right side using the LCD. After doing that, I plug in useful numbers for X, such as 0. I must be setting up the LCD for A, B, and C incorrectly. When plugging in 0, I get A=-1, which my homework program is telling me is incorrect.

This is what I got after multiplying through with the LCD:

4x^2-1=A(x+1)(x+1)^2 + B(x)(x+1)^2 + C(x)(x+1)

After multiplying all of those out, and attempting to plug in 0 for x, I get A=-1, which as I've stated is incorrect according to my online course.

Am I setting this up incorrectly? Is my LCD incorrect when multiplying through?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, shouldn't the RHS of the equation look like this?

A/(2x) + B/(x+1) + C(x+1)^2

As that is all of the terms of the denominator on the LHS?

xxwinexx said:
Also, shouldn't the RHS of the equation look like this?

A/(2x) + B/(x+1) + C(x+1)^2

As that is all of the terms of the denominator on the LHS?

Make that A/(2x) + B/(x+1) + C/(x+1)^2

Mark44 said:
Make that A/(2x) + B/(x+1) + C/(x+1)^2

OK, so now that I know that it was a misprint, should I set up the equation like this?

4x^(2) - 1 = A(x+1)(x+1)^(2) + B(2x)(x+1)^(2) + C(2x)(x+1)

Not quite, the aim of this is to equate denominators across the equality, so you want A,B and C to have the same denominator as the LHS. Then, the denominators can be disregarded for the next part, finding A,B and C.

xxwinexx said:
OK, so now that I know that it was a misprint, should I set up the equation like this?

4x^(2) - 1 = A(x+1)(x+1)^(2) + B(2x)(x+1)^(2) + C(2x)(x+1)

You multiplied both sides of the original equation by 2x(x + 1)2. The left side is correct, but the right side isn't. For example, when you multiply A/(2x) by 2x(x + 1)2, you should get A(x + 1)2, not A(x + 1)3 as you show. In each of the three multiplications, you'll get some cancellation.

Try again, but be more careful.

Related to Partial Fraction Decomposition

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used in mathematics and engineering to break down a complex rational expression into simpler fractions.

2. Why is partial fraction decomposition important?

Partial fraction decomposition is important because it allows us to solve integrals, differential equations, and other mathematical problems involving rational expressions more easily.

3. How do you perform partial fraction decomposition?

To perform partial fraction decomposition, you first factor the denominator of the rational expression into linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Then, you set up a system of equations using the coefficients of the factors and solve for the unknown constants. Finally, you combine the simpler fractions to get the original expression in a decomposed form.

4. What are the types of partial fraction decomposition?

There are two types of partial fraction decomposition: proper and improper. Proper partial fraction decomposition involves the decomposition of a rational expression with a proper fraction (where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator). Improper partial fraction decomposition involves the decomposition of a rational expression with an improper fraction (where the degree of the numerator is equal to or greater than the degree of the denominator).

5. In what situations is partial fraction decomposition used?

Partial fraction decomposition is commonly used in calculus, specifically in integration and solving differential equations. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve complex equations involving rational expressions.