Solving Magnetic Torque Problems with Unit Vectors: Homework Help

In summary: Hmmm, i think i get it. Thanks.According to your drawing, ##\hat n =\vec {n}_{1y}-\vec {n}_{2y}##. This difference is independent of the choice of origin, so if the task is to find the difference, you might just as well put the origin at point a to make the algebra less involved.Right. Thank you, kuruman!
kosmocomet

Homework Statement

media%2F7d8%2F7d8b8b7e-ce6c-43a6-b824-6ced473cf825%2Fimage.jpg

Homework Equations

• m=N*I*A
  • T=m X B
  • m = n(unit vector) *m

The Attempt at a Solution

To calculate m, I know it is just plugging in the information. Thus, m=0.8. Now, the question is computing the unit vector, which has me confused. Using the right hand rule, and going along the current, The normal should look something like this, correct:
upload_2018-4-27_22-30-27.png

If so, how do I make this into an x(unit) and y(unit)?

Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-27_22-30-27.png
    upload_2018-4-27_22-30-27.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 371
  • media%2F7d8%2F7d8b8b7e-ce6c-43a6-b824-6ced473cf825%2Fimage.jpg
    media%2F7d8%2F7d8b8b7e-ce6c-43a6-b824-6ced473cf825%2Fimage.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 815
Physics news on Phys.org
You have ##\vec {\tau}=\vec m \times \vec B##. What is the magnitude of the cross product in terms of the magnitudes ##m##, ##B## and the angle between the magnetic moment and the magnetic field? This is quicker than figuring out unit vectors.

kuruman said:
You have ##\vec {\tau}=\vec m \times \vec B##. What is the magnitude of the cross product in terms of the magnitudes ##m##, ##B## and the angle between the magnetic moment and the magnetic field? This is quicker than figuring out unit vectors.
Thanks, for the comment. I still am a little confused. The angle between the magnetic field and moment would be 60 degrees correct? If so, how do I apply this for a torque vector

kosmocomet said:
Thanks, for the comment. I still am a little confused. The angle between the magnetic field and moment would be 60 degrees correct? If so, how do I apply this for a torque vector
Yes the angle between ##\vec m## and ##\vec B## is 60o. There are two ways of finding the cross product as shown here
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vvec.html

upload_2018-4-28_18-21-1.png

You need to find the n[unit vector] components nx,ny,nz and to multiply with Bx,By,Bz vector
product. The n vector is located in the center of surface A and is equal with the difference between n1 and n2 [end vectors].In order to find the unit vector you have to divide each coordinate by the module=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2).[vector product=cross product]

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-28_18-21-1.png
    upload_2018-4-28_18-21-1.png
    192 KB · Views: 318
kuruman said:
Yes the angle between ##\vec m## and ##\vec B## is 60o. There are two ways of finding the cross product as shown here
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vvec.html
So I understand how to do the cross product. The problem is I don't know how to define ##\vec m## as an x and y components like B is = Boy(unit vector).

kosmocomet said:
So I understand how to do the cross product. The problem is I don't know how to define ##\vec m## as an x and y components like B is = Boy(unit vector).
Oh, that. This is what you do. (a) Make a better drawing than in Post #1 showing both x and y axes. (b) Draw in ##\hat n##. (c) Resolve ##\hat n## into its x and y components just as you would resolve any vector except that for magnitude you use 1.

kuruman said:
Oh, that. This is what you do. (a) Make a better drawing than in Post #1 showing both x and y axes. (b) Draw in ##\hat n##. (c) Resolve ##\hat n## into its x and y components just as you would resolve any vector except that for magnitude you use 1.

Hmmm, i think i get it. Thanks.

upload_2018-4-29_8-24-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-29_8-24-8.png
    upload_2018-4-29_8-24-8.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 681
Babadag said:
According to your drawing, ##\hat n =\vec {n}_{1y}-\vec {n}_{2y}##. This difference is independent of the choice of origin, so if the task is to find the difference, you might just as well put the origin at point a to make the algebra less involved.

Likes Babadag
Right. Thank you, kuruman!

Related to Solving Magnetic Torque Problems with Unit Vectors: Homework Help

1. What are magnetic torque problems and why do we need to solve them?

Magnetic torque problems involve calculating the force experienced by a magnetic object when placed in a magnetic field. We need to solve these problems to understand the behavior of magnetic objects and to design devices that use magnetic forces, such as motors and generators.

2. How do unit vectors help in solving magnetic torque problems?

Unit vectors represent the direction and magnitude of a vector quantity. In magnetic torque problems, unit vectors are used to represent the direction and orientation of the magnetic field and the magnetic object, making it easier to calculate the force and torque acting on the object.

3. What are the steps involved in solving magnetic torque problems using unit vectors?

The steps involved in solving magnetic torque problems using unit vectors include:

• Identifying the magnetic field and the magnetic object in the problem
  • Determining the direction and orientation of the magnetic field and the magnetic object
  • Expressing the magnetic field and the magnetic object as vector quantities using unit vectors
  • Calculating the cross product of the vectors to determine the torque
  • Solving for the force using the magnitude of the torque and the distance from the pivot point

4. How can I check if my solution to a magnetic torque problem using unit vectors is correct?

You can check your solution by using the right-hand rule to confirm the direction of the torque and by comparing your calculated force with the expected force based on the properties of the magnetic field and the magnetic object.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving magnetic torque problems with unit vectors?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving magnetic torque problems with unit vectors include:

• Forgetting to convert units to match the given values
  • Using the wrong direction or orientation for the vectors
  • Not taking into account the cross product when calculating the torque
  • Not using the right-hand rule to determine the direction of the torque