How Do You Calculate Geometric Buckling for Cylinders and Spheres?

In summary, the conversation is about the confusion surrounding questions on geometric buckling of a cylinder and a sphere. The first question does not provide values for extrapolated distances, so units are left in their basic form. The second question involves using a volume calculated from the first question, but the units are in m^-1. The person is seeking help and shares a tutorial on the derivation and use of geometric and material buckling, as well as a previous student's post on the topic. A mentor notes that the thread has been moved from a different forum section.
stressedphysstudent
Mentor note: Thread moved from a different forum section, so missing the homework template.
I'm very confused about the attached questions on geometric buckling of a cylinder and a sphere.

For this question I'm not given a value for the extrapolated distances (for R' and H') so I simply put the bare units in. The second question asks me to use a volume calculated from the first question, but my units are in m^-1.

I'm basically very confused about this question and any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 409
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you get your question answered?

Related to How Do You Calculate Geometric Buckling for Cylinders and Spheres?

1. What is geometric buckling?

Geometric buckling is a phenomenon that occurs when a slender structure, such as a column or beam, experiences a compressive load that exceeds its critical buckling load. This results in the structure buckling or collapsing due to its own weight and shape.

2. How is geometric buckling different from material buckling?

Geometric buckling is caused by the shape and geometry of a structure, while material buckling is caused by the properties and strength of the material. Geometric buckling can occur even if the material is strong enough to withstand the load, but the structure's shape is not able to support it.

3. What are the units of critical buckling load?

The units of critical buckling load depend on the units of the structure's dimensions and the material's properties. In general, it can be expressed in force units such as Newtons or pounds, or in stress units such as Pascals or pounds per square inch.

4. How can I calculate the critical buckling load for a specific structure?

The critical buckling load can be calculated using various mathematical equations, such as Euler's buckling formula or the Rayleigh-Ritz method. These equations take into account the dimensions, material properties, and boundary conditions of the structure to determine the critical load. Alternatively, computer programs and finite element analysis can also be used to calculate the critical buckling load.

5. How can I prevent geometric buckling in my structures?

To prevent geometric buckling, it is important to design and construct structures with proper dimensions and support. This can include using thicker or stronger materials, increasing the cross-sectional area of the structure, or providing additional support through bracing or stiffening elements. It is also important to consider the type of loading and potential imperfections in the structure's geometry, as these can contribute to the likelihood of geometric buckling.