Solving linear equations with exactly one solution

In summary, the conversation is about determining the value(s) of k for which a system of linear equations has exactly one solution. The person tried solving the system using a 2x2 matrix but couldn't find a solution for k. They are asking if there is another way to solve it and clarify the meaning of "exactly one solution" for k.
baki
1.Determine the value(s) of k for which the system of linear equations
x + 2y = 1
(k2)x - 2ky = 2
has exactly one solution 3.How do i solve this, i tried the 2x2 matrix
whereby, i had
|1 2|
|k2 -2k|
and tried to make [2 and k^2 = zero] and [-2k = one]
But I can't seem to solve it completely
is there another way we can do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a duplicate post of https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=651710

baki said:
[ b]1.Determine the value(s) of k for which the system of linear equations
x + 2y = 1
(k2)x - 2ky = 2
has exactly one solution [/b]

[ b]3.How do i solve this, i tried the 2x2 matrix
whereby, i had
|1 2|
|k2 -2k|
and tried to make [2 and k^2 = zero] and [-2k = one]
But I can't seem to solve it completely
is there another way we can do this?
[/b]
Try solving the system, as it is, for x & y.

See how k is involved in that solution.

I've tried that and there are 2 values of k, but don't you think when it says it has exactly one solution than it means k should have one value.

baki said:
I've tried that and there are 2 values of k, but don't you think when it says it has exactly one solution than it means k should have one value.
No.

It means, "What value or values may k have so that the system has one (x, y) solution?"

Related to Solving linear equations with exactly one solution

1. What is a linear equation with exactly one solution?

A linear equation with exactly one solution is an equation that has only one possible value for the variable that satisfies the equation. This means that when the equation is solved, there is only one value that makes the equation true.

2. How do you solve a linear equation with exactly one solution?

To solve a linear equation with exactly one solution, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means that you perform the opposite operation on both sides of the equation until the variable is by itself. The value of the variable will then be the solution to the equation.

3. Can a linear equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a linear equation can have more than one solution. This occurs when the equation simplifies to a statement that is always true, such as 2 = 2. In this case, any value for the variable will make the equation true, so there are infinitely many solutions.

4. What happens if a linear equation has no solution?

If a linear equation has no solution, it means that there is no value for the variable that will make the equation true. This can happen when the equation simplifies to a statement that is always false, such as 3 = 4. In other words, the graph of the equation will be two parallel lines that never intersect.

5. Can you check your solution to a linear equation with exactly one solution?

Yes, you can check your solution to a linear equation with exactly one solution by substituting the value into the original equation and solving for both sides. If the resulting values on both sides are equal, then your solution is correct. This is a good practice to ensure that you did not make any mistakes while solving the equation.