Solving Limits with L'Hopital's Rule

In summary: No, it's not infinity. It's zero. Limit b^2/e^b is infinity/infinity. Do l'Hopital. 2b/e^b. Still infinity/infinity. Do l'Hopital once more. Now it's not infinity/infinity. What is it?It's a limit that's undefined.
Jeff12341234
1. The limit as b approaches infinity always shows up as undefined on my calc so I don't know what to put for that section of the work.

2. What pat of the work is supposed to need L'hopital's rule? The integration?

KaaqCAP.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeff12341234 said:
1. The limit as b approaches infinity always shows up as undefined on my calc so I don't know what to put for that section of the work.

2. What pat of the work is supposed to need L'hopital's rule? The integration?

KaaqCAP.jpg

Same type of answer as with the other one. In e^(b(9-s)), 9-s is negative. That will go to zero as b->infinity. So will b*e^(b(9-s)) and b^2*e^(b(9-s)).

What about the 2nd question?

Jeff12341234 said:
What about the 2nd question?

About l'Hopitals's? You can use it to prove something like b*exp(-kb) must go to zero as b->infinity if k>0. Write it as b/e^(kb) and use l'Hopital.

How does it specifically apply in this case? What am I supposed to need it for in this problem?

Jeff12341234 said:
How does it specifically apply in this case? What am I supposed to need it for in this problem?

You want to show things like -b^2*e^(b(9-s))/(9-s) actually do go to zero when s>9 and b goes to infinity.

Ok, so it's supposed to be needed when evaluating the limits of each term correct?

Jeff12341234 said:
Ok, so it's supposed to be needed when evaluating the limits of each term correct?

Yes, the parts you wrote '?' over. You'll want to show they actually do go to zero if s>9.

1CnPNon.jpg

Did I do the work right? I get 0 in the denominator.. what's wrong here?

Jeff12341234 said:
1CnPNon.jpg

Did I do the work right? I get 0 in the denominator.. what's wrong here?

You can't use l'Hopital's rule on an expression unless it's indeterminate. Write it so it has the form 0/0 or infinity/infinity. Try b^2/e^b. That's infinity/infinity.

ok. So for that specific term that I tried to do, the limit looks like it would instead be infinity right? Am I allowed to do the limit of just -b^2 over s-9 by itself, along with each other term by itself, and the e^b(9-s) by itself, or do I have to expand it out and then do each term like I started to do and do the limit that way?

Jeff12341234 said:
ok. So for that specific term that I tried to do, the limit looks like it would instead be infinity right? Am I allowed to do the limit of just -b^2 over s-9 by itself, along with each other term by itself, and the e^b(9-s) by itself, or do I have to expand it out and then do each term like I started to do and do the limit that way?

No, it's not infinity. It's zero. Limit b^2/e^b is infinity/infinity. Do l'Hopital. 2b/e^b. Still infinity/infinity. Do l'Hopital once more. Now it's not infinity/infinity. What is it?

Related to Solving Limits with L'Hopital's Rule

1. What is the LaPlace Transform?

The LaPlace Transform is a mathematical tool used to transform a function from the time domain to the complex frequency domain. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. Why do we use the LaPlace Transform?

The LaPlace Transform allows us to simplify complex differential equations and make them easier to solve. It also provides a way to analyze systems in the frequency domain, which can reveal insights that are not apparent in the time domain.

3. What types of functions can be transformed using the LaPlace Transform?

The LaPlace Transform can be applied to a wide range of functions, including exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric, and polynomial functions. It can also be used on piecewise functions and functions with discontinuities.

4. How is the LaPlace Transform calculated?

The LaPlace Transform is calculated by integrating the function multiplied by the complex exponential function e^(-st), where s is a complex variable. The result is a function in the frequency domain, which can be used to solve differential equations or analyze systems.

5. What is the inverse LaPlace Transform?

The inverse LaPlace Transform is the process of transforming a function back from the frequency domain to the time domain. It allows us to find the original function from its transformed form, and is often used to solve differential equations or analyze systems in the time domain.