Solving limit with algebraic tools

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving the limit \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{-x(1 -\cos x)}{\sin x - x}. The first approach mentioned is using L'Hopital's rule and expanding trigonometric functions to series, but the speaker is looking for a solution using algebraic tools. The next suggestion is to use the identity \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}=1, but the speaker is unsure how to apply it. Another speaker suggests using trig identities and manipulations to solve the limit. Finally, a third speaker presents a proof using derivatives and the Squeeze theorem. However, the original speaker is limited to using
Yegor
Hello!
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{-x(1 -\cos x)}{\sin x - x}
[/tex]
I solved this limit using L'Hopital and expanding trigonometric functions to series.
But i have to solve it using algebraic tools (without series). I don't know how to do it. [tex]\sin x - x[/tex] looks difficult to deal with.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have likely proved that

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}=1[/tex] (EDIT: yes, I meant 0, not [itex]\infty[/itex], thanks)

If so, use it.

Last edited:
benorin said:
You have likely proved that
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}=1[/tex]
If so, use it.
?
:confused:
Are you sure the limit above is correct? Let's check it again. :wink:
Shouldn't it read:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}=1[/tex]
Or
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}=0[/tex]

Possibly, Benorin meant [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}=1[/tex],
but i believe, that this can't help in solving initial problem. I have to use further terms of sinx series. [tex]\sin x = x - \frac{x^3}{3!}+...[/tex] But how can i get them algebraically??

Realy, nobody have any idea about initial problem?

there aren't many things that spring to mind except using your trig identities.

So, i tried to get some more terms of [tex]\sin x [/tex] expansion. Here is my result:
[tex]
\sin x = 2 \sin \frac{x}{2} \cos \frac{x}{2} = 2 \sin \frac{x}{2} (\cos \frac{x}{2} -1 +1) = -2 \sin \frac{x}{2} (1-\cos \frac{x}{2}) + 2\sin \frac{x}{2} = -4 \sin \frac{x}{2} (\sin \frac{x}{4})^2 +2\sin \frac{x}{2}
[/tex]
Now if x->0 i got that [tex]\sin x = x - \frac{x^3}{8}+...[/tex] and not [tex]\sin x = x - \frac{x^3}{3!}+...[/tex] as it should be. Where do i went wrong?

Last edited:
If you drop off all of the terms of power higher than 1 in 2 sin(x / 2), you must as well drop off all the term has the poer higher than 1 in the other terms.
[tex]-4\sin \frac{x}{2} \sin ^ 2 \frac{x}{4} = -\frac{x ^ 3}{8}[/tex] should be also dropped off, as the degree of x is 3 (which is obviously greater than 1).
That'll give:
[tex]\sin x = x + ...[/tex], and that's correct.
--------------------
This is my approach:
I'll prove
[tex]\forall x \in ]0, \frac{\pi}{2} [ \ : \sin x > x - \frac{x ^ 3}{3!}[/tex]
Or slightly differently:
[tex]\forall x \in ]0, \frac{\pi}{2} [ \ : \sin x - x + \frac{x ^ 3}{3!} > 0[/tex]
Let f(x) := sin x - x + x3 / 3!
f'(x) = cos x - 1 + x2 / 2!
f''(x) = -sin x + x
f'''(x) = -cos x + 1
[tex]\forall x \in ]0, \frac{\pi}{2} [ \ : f'''(x) > 0[/tex] that means f''(x) is increasing on that interval, f''(0) = 0 => [tex]\forall x \in ]0, \frac{\pi}{2} [ \ : f''(x) > 0[/tex], that again means f'(x) is increasing on that interval, f'(0) = 0 => [tex]\forall x \in ]0, \frac{\pi}{2} [ \ : f'(x) > 0[/tex].
That means f(x) is increasing on that interval, f(0) = 0, so we have:
[tex]\forall x \in ]0, \frac{\pi}{2} [ \ : f(x) > 0[/tex] (Q.E.D)
-------------------
You can do exactly the same to prove:
[tex]\forall x \in ]-\frac{\pi}{2}, 0 [ \ : \sin x < x - \frac{x ^ 3}{3!}[/tex]
[tex]\forall x \in ]0, \frac{\pi}{2} [ \ : \sin x < x - \frac{x ^ 3}{3!} + \frac{x ^ 5}{5!}[/tex]
[tex]\forall x \in ]-\frac{\pi}{2}, 0 [ \ : \sin x > x - \frac{x ^ 3}{3!} + \frac{x ^ 5}{5!}[/tex]
-------------------
It means:

[tex]\forall x \in ]0, \frac{\pi}{2} [ \ : -\frac{x ^ 3}{3!} \leq \sin x - x \leq -\frac{x ^ 3}{3} + \frac{x ^ 5}{5!}[/tex]
[tex]\forall x \in ]-\frac{\pi}{2}, 0 [ \ : -\frac{x ^ 3}{3!} \geq \sin x - x \geq -\frac{x ^ 3}{3} + \frac{x ^ 5}{5!}[/tex]
From there, just use Squeeze theorem, to evaluate the limit of:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x - x}{x ^ 3}[/tex].
And, that's way longer than to use L'Hopital rules, or sin expansion. Maybe someone will come up with something shorter.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, VietDao. Your approach is really very nice. But unfortunately i cannot use derivatives :cry: . Just algebra

Yegor said:
Hello!
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{-x(1 -\cos x)}{\sin x - x}
[/tex]
I solved this limit using L'Hopital and expanding trigonometric functions to series.
But i have to solve it using algebraic tools (without series). I don't know how to do it. [tex]\sin x - x[/tex] looks difficult to deal with.

Try
[tex]\frac{-x(1 -\cos x)}{\sin x - x} \times \frac{1+\cos x}{1+\cos x}[/tex]
and some trig identities.

Related to Solving limit with algebraic tools

1. What is a limit in algebraic terms?

A limit in algebraic terms is a value that a mathematical function approaches as its input variable approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and is used to describe the behavior of a function near a specific point.

2. How do I solve a limit using algebraic tools?

To solve a limit using algebraic tools, you can use various techniques such as factoring, simplifying, and applying algebraic rules such as the limit laws. You can also use algebraic manipulation to convert the limit into a form that can be solved using basic arithmetic operations.

3. What are the limit laws in algebra?

The limit laws in algebra are a set of rules that allow you to evaluate limits by manipulating algebraic expressions. These laws include the sum law, product law, quotient law, power law, and other special cases such as the limit of a constant and the limit of a polynomial.

4. Can I use algebraic tools to solve all types of limits?

No, algebraic tools may not be sufficient to solve all types of limits. Some limits may require more advanced techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem. It is important to identify the type of limit and choose the appropriate method for solving it.

5. How do I know if my solution to a limit using algebraic tools is correct?

You can check the correctness of your solution by using a graphing calculator or by plugging in values close to the limit into the original function and comparing the results to your calculated limit. You can also double-check your algebraic steps to ensure they are correct.