Solving Light Optics Problem: Find Reflection Point

In summary, the critical angle for the light leaving the water is 49 degrees. If the light is at an angle of 49 degrees, and it travels up to the water-air interface a distance of 62 cm then what would the x distance be?The x distance would be R*sin(49) = 62, so R is around 82.15 cm.
jena
Hi,

My Question:

A beam of light is emitted in a pool from a depth of 62.0 cm. Where must it strike the air-water interface, relative to the spot directy abovie, in order that the light does not exit the water?

My Work

Tan(49)=(x/62.0cm), got 49 degrees from the textbook where it says that it won't reflect at this angle.

x=Tan(49)62.0 cm

x= 71.3 cm

Is this right??

Thank You:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
First you are looking for the "critical angle" a which the light will be experience total internal reflection at the water-air interface.
The critical angle is equal to the arcsin (index of refraction of air / index of refraction of water).
the index of refraction of air is about 1, and water is about 1.33,
so you can find the critical angle is just about 49 degrees like you book said.

If the light is at an angle of 49 degrees, and it travels up to the water-air interface a distance of 62 cm then what would the x distance be?
We know that R*sin(49) = 62, so R is around 82.15 cm, and we know that,
R*cos(49) = the x distance traveled by the light.
I get something different that your answer when I plug in the values and sove for x.

The answer is correct for 49 degrees. For 48.6 it is 70.3cm.

Hi,

I just found another way but it still uses sine and also finds how I came up with the 49 degrees.

What I did was first find the critical angle for the light leaving the water

n(water)*sin(theta)=n(air)sin(theta)

1.33sin(theta)=1*sin(90) where I found theta to be 48.8

I used it in the equation where Tan(48.8)=(x/62.0cm), and the answer comes to about 70.7cm.

Could this work

That's the proper method, but how did you get 48.8 degrees?

Ok, I see what it is, 1.33 gives 48.8, 1.333 gives 48.6. Certainly it seems to be given as 1.33. When I did this in school the angle was given as 48.6, so that's why I wondered about the angle. I don't know which is correct, but rather use 1.33 unless the teacher says otherwise.

Related to Solving Light Optics Problem: Find Reflection Point

1. How do I determine the angle of incidence for a light ray?

To determine the angle of incidence, you need to draw a line perpendicular to the surface at the point of incidence. Then, measure the angle between the incoming light ray and the perpendicular line. This angle will be the angle of incidence.

2. What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This means that the incoming light ray and the reflected light ray will make equal angles with the surface at the point of incidence.

3. How do I calculate the reflection point for a given light ray and surface?

To calculate the reflection point, you need to use the formula: θr = θi + 180° - 2θi, where θr is the angle of reflection, and θi is the angle of incidence. Once you have the angle of reflection, you can use trigonometry to find the reflection point on the surface.

4. What factors affect the reflection point of a light ray?

The main factors that affect the reflection point are the angle of incidence, the angle of reflection, and the properties of the surface, such as its curvature and reflective index. Other factors that may have an impact include the wavelength of the light and the medium through which the light is traveling.

5. How do I use the reflection point to solve a light optics problem?

The reflection point can be used to determine the path of a light ray after it reflects off a surface. This information can be used to calculate the angle of refraction, the distance traveled by the light ray, and other parameters that are essential in solving light optics problems. By understanding the reflection point, you can accurately predict the behavior of light and solve complex problems involving optics.