Solving Laplacian Operators and DEs

• Thread starter Hertz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curious
In summary, the conversation is about the Laplacian operator and DEs. The main focus is on trying to solve the equation \nabla^2 U(\vec{r})=C(\vec{r})U(\vec{r}) and its 1D counterpart. The goal is to find a solution for U(x) in terms of C(x). Suggestions for solving include trying the case where C is constant and assuming certain boundary conditions for U and C. Integration by parts is also suggested.
Hertz
Hi, lately I've been messing around a lot with the Laplacian operator and DE's including the Laplacian operator. Most recently, the equation below is the one I have been messing around with and trying to understand better.

[itex]\nabla^2 U(\vec{r})=C(\vec{r})U(\vec{r})[/itex]

This is pretty general though.. WAYY too general for me to tackle. So I've been starting with the 1D case, which I also can't seem to solve.

[itex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}U(x)=C(x)U(x)[/itex]

My goal is to try to solve for U(x) in terms of C(x). Any ideas? Is there any way to know if such a solution exists? What about to the general equation above?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the form of the Laplacian operator in spherical or polar coordinates

No I don't but it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to figure it out. How could that help though?

A couple of thoughts for progressing.

1) Try the case where C is constant. This actually gives you a Helmholtz equation.

2) For the more general case, it helps to assume that U or U dot n =0 at the boundary and C has a certain sign.
Then multiply by U and integrate over the domain, this will involve an integration by parts.

Hello,

It's great to hear that you have been exploring the Laplacian operator and differential equations (DEs). These are important concepts in many areas of science and engineering. I understand that you are currently focusing on the 1D case, and are trying to solve for U(x) in terms of C(x).

First, let's clarify what the Laplacian operator represents. It is a differential operator that measures the curvature of a function at a given point. In other words, it tells us how much a function changes as we move away from a specific point. This is why it is often used in equations that involve physical quantities such as temperature, pressure, or electric potential.

Now, to solve for U(x) in terms of C(x), we need to use techniques from differential equations. In the 1D case, we can use separation of variables to rewrite the equation as two separate equations:

\frac{d^2 U}{dx^2} = \lambda U

and

\frac{d C}{dx} = \lambda C

where \lambda is a constant. These equations can then be solved to find the general solution for U(x). However, it is important to note that the solution may not exist for all values of C(x) and \lambda. This is where further analysis and boundary conditions come into play to determine the specific solution for a given problem.

For the general equation \nabla^2 U(\vec{r})=C(\vec{r})U(\vec{r}), the same principles apply. It can be solved using separation of variables, but the solution may be dependent on the specific boundary conditions and values of C(\vec{r}).

I hope this helps in your understanding of solving Laplacian operators and DEs. Keep exploring and experimenting, and don't hesitate to seek guidance from experts in the field. Good luck!

Related to Solving Laplacian Operators and DEs

1. What is the Laplacian operator?

The Laplacian operator is a mathematical operator commonly used in solving differential equations. It is represented by the symbol ∆ and is defined as the sum of the second partial derivatives of a function with respect to each of its independent variables.

2. What types of problems can be solved using Laplacian operators?

Laplacian operators are commonly used in solving partial differential equations (PDEs) in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They can also be used in image and signal processing, fluid dynamics, and other areas where differential equations are used to describe phenomena.

3. How do you solve a Laplacian operator?

The specific method for solving a Laplacian operator depends on the type of problem being solved and the type of differential equation being used. Generally, the Laplacian operator is applied to a given function and then the resulting equation is solved using various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or numerical methods.

4. What is the purpose of solving Laplacian operators?

The main purpose of solving Laplacian operators is to find a solution to a given differential equation. This allows scientists and engineers to model and understand complex systems and phenomena, and make predictions about their behavior.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving Laplacian operators?

Laplacian operators have many practical applications in various fields. For example, in physics, they are used to study heat flow, wave propagation, and diffusion. In engineering, they can be used to model and optimize the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. In image processing, they are used for image smoothing and edge detection. Laplacian operators also have applications in finance, biology, and other areas.